another cobble bar spotting

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've come to realize that the lack of any major downpours this year from mid-spring onwards helped alot preventing some of these finds from bybecoming re-entombed in dried silt and muck that would usually otherwise wash down from the heavy upland potato cultivation activities which render these sort of spots quite uncharacteristic to look at and wanna bother with...

in-situ: View attachment 1859750

in hand: View attachment 1859751

looking back: View attachment 1859752

the beer can may give a clue as to the region involved in this discussion, eh

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd agree with Buck that it is natural, but if I were an NA I would have taken that rock back to camp; wouldn't require much work to complete.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early archaic radio station mike.

DaveSmith

May 26, 2020
western nc.....foothills
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So the hafted area is worn smooth, the working end is worn smooth and the face where the less use happens is not worn smooth and it looks like an axe..............Does someone have an example of what an axe should look from that area to help him identify a REAL one in the future?

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So the hafted area is worn smooth, the working end is worn smooth and the face where the less use happens is not worn smooth and it looks like an axe..............Does someone have an example of what an axe should look from that area to help him identify a REAL one in the future?

The internet is full of 'em. I just Googled native american grooved stone axes. Here's the link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nat...ADA&bih=937&biw=1920&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS858US858

DaveSmith

May 26, 2020
western nc.....foothills
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you saying all of those on the link are authentic, and runners is not? Based on what specific points? Or if some of those on the link are not authentic, can you or the others on here point those out and tell why they are not? Come on, give somebody something to go on.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you saying all of those on the link are authentic, and runners is not? Based on what specific points? Or if some of those on the link are not authentic, can you or the others on here point those out and tell why they are not? Come on, give somebody something to go on.

1.) Are you saying all of those on the link are authentic, NO
2.) and runners is not? YES. His is not an axe but a naturally eroded rock.
3.) Based on what specific points? I see layers in his piece and no evidence of grinding in the groove (which is where softer material eroded away naturally). Looking at the only side illustrated, it doesn't look like the material is what an axe would be made from--layered material that is too soft.
4.) Or if some of those on the link are not authentic, can you or the others on here point those out and tell why they are not? Too many examples in that link are not true N.A. stone axes. I'll leave that up to someone else with the time to provide further education.
5.) Come on, give somebody something to go on. I provided the link and explanations as best as I know how in what I think is a reasonable amount of time. If a tutor is required, I'm not your "Huckleberry". This is my opinion from looking at 100's, maybe 1000's of these types of artifacts from well respected collectors. I advise others to do the same thing.

To The Grim Reaper (Steve Valentine): If you have time Steve, please put up a few pics of your authentic stone axes for these folks.

Thank you,

Terry

Edit: My bad, there is two sides pictured. This is even better as it exhibits the layering from both sides.

Last edited:

DaveSmith

May 26, 2020
western nc.....foothills
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Tdog!
Experts such as yourself and others on here want as much info as possible to help tell whether something is or is not an artifact,
the same goes for people who post photos. They want and I think deserve as much info as to why it is not, if people say it isn't.
The layering info is very helpful and has taught me something.
Thanks again,
Dave

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Tdog!
Experts such as yourself and others on here want as much info as possible to help tell whether something is or is not an artifact,
the same goes for people who post photos. They want and I think deserve as much info as to why it is not, if people say it isn't.
The layering info is very helpful and has taught me something.
Thanks again,
Dave

I don't claim to be an expert Dave--just an amateur rock hound. My opinion is just that--only an opinion. I try not to step out there unless I'm pretty sure of what I'm saying, however, my batting average is much less than 1000. You are correct that folks deserve to hear reasons why others think their finds may not be what they expect. I'm guilty of short answers and I should improve there.

Edit: Here are a couple of links depicting authentic N.A. axes...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/n...ifacts/631474-new-hardstone-acquisitions.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/north-american-indian-artifacts/536039-stone-tools.html

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ridge runner, they look like water eroded rocks to me..but what do I know.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You need to bone-up on what you're looking for rr. What do you think those are your holding? What would a stone aged man or woman do with those in every day life?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread