Two similars for your consideration, Re: weathering

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now given that one is a solid artifact-y looking thing while the other is mostly an "inclusion" encased within an artifact- y looking exterior, to what extent is a differential weathering effect responsible (if applicable) to either or both in their otherwise visually akin appearance?
Both found under similar circumstances within a general area:

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

am willing to give a thorough scrubbing to the yellow one (eventually) out of curiosity, if anything.

Thanks again for any/all input.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weird looking rocks. I’m sure there is an answer. Trick is finding someone that knows.

Were you at the strip club when you took those pictures? :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None are artifacts, they are weathered rocks.

OP
OP
N

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weird looking rocks. I’m sure there is an answer. Trick is finding someone that knows.

Were you at the strip club when you took those pictures? :laughing7:

well that'd be some gaudy granny pentecost hell of a strip club if it were, eh

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Artifacts Latinate differently in different soils -- different chemistry = different colors. Rejoined halves thus sometimes are "two-tones" now.

FWIW

OP
OP
N

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i'll be damned..latination it is!

cheers, m8 :occasion14::occasion14:

:3some::3some::3some:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those rocks were part of larger rocks on the shore of a creek or river. Those grooves represent the water line. Water lapping over time made the grooves before the rocks finally eroded out. Very common. Gary

OP
OP
N

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those rocks were part of larger rocks on the shore of a creek or river. Those grooves represent the water line. Water lapping over time made the grooves before the rocks finally eroded out. Very common. Gary

glacial tills deposited as riparian surface cobbles, whether lining the riverbanks or completely underwater, don't typically tend to stay sedentary or even remain superficially visible throughout the seasons long enough to experience such constant erosional forces as to develop "water lines", given the many river ice jamming/anchoring/scouring and siltation events that happen during the course of a year in this rather temperate climate of ours.

an observation of such, first conspicuously spotted on a january 28th:

DSC00772.jpg

roughly 3 months later, and a few meters noticeably downstream from where it was:

DSC02273 (1).JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for additional context:

DSC02260 (1).JPG

to add; river and creek shores where one can comfortably (if at all) walk alongside barefoot are few and far between in these parts

Last edited:

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to my friend with the the state department of DEQ, stone like these were laid down in big beds a very long time ago.1 layer being a harder type of deposit with maybe some small crushed rocks. Then the next layer is layed down let's just say a thick clay/mud. Many years go by an another layer of stronger material is layed down. Then after 1,000's of years the chemical compounds leach into each other making them close to the same color but not the same texture. 1,000's of years pass an due to glaciers, climate change, earthquakes and rise an fall of water level they crack then they move from were they were deposited in at the beginning. Over time the softer stone exposed to the elements will wear away leaving what we see now.

OP
OP
N

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a last note regarding the original post; the yellow one can be mostly chipped away at with bare fingernails. i hesitate to call it 'clay', though the outer layer is evidently "concretioned" around the core cobble when handled.

a previous example i've used to attemptively illustrate such:

20200912151646_IMG_1954.JPG

also worth mention is practically few-to-none of the cobbles laying about in the background are of regionally native bedrock or composition

Last edited:

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in SW MS. we have no stone sorce other than a few quartzite deposits, with that being said you can find stone that comes from the Great Lakes region in cobbles in all the creek/stream beds. They were crushed by glaciers an when it melted an made ancient rivers it was deposited in very thick layers , some 400ft thick and some all the way to the Gulf of Mexico.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
According to my friend with the the state department of DEQ, stone like these were laid down in big beds a very long time ago.1 layer being a harder type of deposit with maybe some small crushed rocks. Then the next layer is layed down let's just say a thick clay/mud. Many years go by an another layer of stronger material is layed down. Then after 1,000's of years the chemical compounds leach into each other making them close to the same color but not the same texture. 1,000's of years pass an due to glaciers, climate change, earthquakes and rise an fall of water level they crack then they move from were they were deposited in at the beginning. Over time the softer stone exposed to the elements will wear away leaving what we see now.
Exactly!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It does resemble differential weathering. It can result via water, or, in the case of the formations called hoodoos, like the well known examples in Bryce Canyon National Park, it can result from wind erosion. It can happen on small and large scales. I don’t really know the specific circumstances of your finds, but they do resemble this type of weathering, resulting from a force+time.

EEC7DB89-C391-410F-99AE-1E44B31E737E.jpeg

0AE0DEE0-56CA-42A6-8E0C-00D45175AFFA.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in SW MS. we have no stone sorce other than a few quartzite deposits, with that being said you can find stone that comes from the Great Lakes region in cobbles in all the creek/stream beds. They were crushed by glaciers an when it melted an made ancient rivers it was deposited in very thick layers , some 400ft thick and some all the way to the Gulf of Mexico.

This region is ~1000mi North-East of the great lakes, with most of the superficial tills coming from the mid-upper Laurentide ice sheet that made its way through here going southeast. Subsequent reglaciation and thawing events consequently leading to massive ice lakes/dams and debris floods are somewhat understood to be the case in explaining today's surface geology in these parts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does resemble differential weathering. It can result via water, or, in the case of the formations called hoodoos, like the well known examples in Bryce Canyon National Park, it can result from wind erosion. It can happen on small and large scales. I don’t really know the specific circumstances of your finds, but they do resemble this type of weathering, resulting from a force+time.

indeed they do, although given the hoodoos assumed their current form through the ages in due cause to their static/immobile (ie: "bedrocked") nature as to where glacially deposited cobbles around here still get kicked around like an empty can when subject to ice drifts and riverbed scouring (likewise, possibly becoming entombed for ages in eroded debris deposited by said forces)

native bedrock with pools of superficially deposited foreign tills and muck:

20200821191940_IMG_1346.JPG

20200815112311_IMG_1284.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! I think there's a forum here for this--Geofacts?

ey, you wouldn't be wrong in thinking you were outright being taken for a fool if instead i were here trying to qualify or quantify most anything our provincial scholarly esteems as being 'artifactual' or indicative of such...

https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/departments/thc/heritage/content/archaeology/NBHCAartifactDiscovery.html

i mean..at least a few of my presented items seem like they were made to fit "right in your hand", no?

:bonghit: :bonghit:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not get caught up in how a rock fits your hand, rocks fit hands because that is the marvel of the human hand, not because they are artifacts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread