Geofacts from New England

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The error you are making: pareidolia does not occur in long sequences.

Categorically and demonstrably false.

Me and my daughter can spend all day on our backs surveying the clouds and seeing every form of animal, train, plane and object the world has to offer.

Or we can spend an afternoon on the gravel bar of our local river picking out the same, over and over all day long.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
In an artistic mode all resemblances are superficial. I have yet to hear an explanation for the multiplicity of the atypical stones.

You're poking around in glacial till leaning towards rotted quartz. To the creative mind you'll be overwhelmed. And you already are. Therin lies the multiplicity.

Don't neglect art was (and is) a part of native culture.
If you're going to tote a stone , make it worth toting.
If you are going to work a medium , work the better medium for the purpose.
Far more than the material you're fondling was workable , and available. Don't force what is not there in art. It helps no one , let alone those whose works you seek.

OP
OP
A

Ariel3

Feb 27, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. You cannot. Rock formations are nothing like trees or clouds. These modified geofacts have marks from tools. You clearly don't get it. That's fine. But it's better to remain silent and be thought ignorant...

OP
OP
A

Ariel3

Feb 27, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not asking you to prove me wrong. I frankly think you are wasting your time. Science isn't for everyone.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. You cannot. Rock formations are nothing like trees or clouds. These modified geofacts have marks from tools. You clearly don't get it. That's fine. But it's better to remain silent and be thought ignorant...

I see no tool markings what so ever on any of the samples you've provided so far. Au contraire, i'd say you "clearly don't get it".

Here are some authentic effigies, they take no imagination and all have clear, distinct signs of human working:

eff1.jpg
eff3.jpg
eff4.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not asking you to prove me wrong. I frankly think you are wasting your time. Science isn't for everyone.

Apply some science.
Take a piece resembling your more common material that does not appear to have been worked , and then work it with the same tools of the era you believe you are recovering relics from. If you believe such material was ground , grind it. Use era suited methods though.
When you have hard small inclusions and voids , grinding is going to cause trouble. But hey , demonstrate to prove it.

Study local museums pieces. Study the material. And research the source of such material.
Porous rock has some use. But limited in scope too. Brittle non directional rock has less use.
Buried rock often has better quality than sun baked and frost worked.
There is a reason more porous rock is often pecked , vs abraded or flaked.
Just as there is a reason consistency can be found in purposed workings in a given material. It's characteristics suited the working.
That does not mean enhancing what a rock appears as. It's seeing what is not visible in quality first. The exposing what is desired by creating it.

Yes , I have an example or pareidolia from a far away site. But I recognized it when recovered , as I recognize it now.
Not what I wanted to recover. But it is what it is. A symbolic piece with an interesting shape.
I don't try to make more of it.
Besides , like yours , it's not really suitable for working.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Show tool marks then. Then describe the tools. Then the application of them.

OP
OP
A

Ariel3

Feb 27, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of these pictures resemble the evident attempts at realism found in most of the stones I have listed. A sad attempt I must say.

OP
OP
A

Ariel3

Feb 27, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a number of rock varieties that are associated with NA work but are not native to my area: obsidian and graphite. I have found a number of quartz tools useful in chipping and pecking. Also a variety of grinding tools. Materials include felsite, white feldspar, rhyolite, and glassy rhyolite.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do not insult members.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Ariel3

Feb 27, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. Of course. Your point being? If you ever come to Southern NE and want to find some glassy rhyolite, bring a lunch.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at these, all are natural.

rockface-3-768x733.jpg

rockface-6-768x1074.jpg

1_I-aaOKZwdya8nT3VUug56A.png

pareidolia-is-when-you-see-faces-in-everything-20-photos-4.jpg

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. Of course. Your point being?

Are you being purposely obtuse and argumentative or do you truly not understand the point of my post?

If not, my point was, In other areas of the country that were not covered by glaciers, a non native rock could be evidence that it was brought there or worked by humans. In your area, it lends no supporting evidence to your claim of your rocks being worked by humans.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Ariel3

Feb 27, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. I am sorry about that. Won't happen again.

OP
OP
A

Ariel3

Feb 27, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, yes it does, actually. I have a block of obsidian that appears to be of the trade variety. That particular stone was traded over wide areas. "Obsidian is restricted to volcanic regions, and in the United States, obsidian outcrops are widely distributed in the Mountain West, Southwest, California, Oregon, and Washington State. Many of these sources are represented among Native American artifacts housed in the Museum's North American collections." It is commonly claimed not to be native, even through glaciation, to NE.

OP
OP
A

Ariel3

Feb 27, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, they are poor quality representations, that do not appear to have been fashioned by human hands. The first figure looks human, but quite dead. That's what geofacts look like.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, yes it does, actually. I have a block of obsidian that appears to be of the trade variety.

Obfuscation and diversion, if you want to discuss your obsidian rock, you can post up pictures of it and we can certainly discuss it. But that doesn't bring us any closer to the OP's topic at hand, whether the pictures claimed to be effigies are human worked or naturally occurring.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, they are poor quality representations, that do not appear to have been fashioned by human hands.

I'm confused, what don't look to be fashioned by human hands? Earlier you stated there is evidence of your finds being worked by humans:

These modified geofacts have marks from tools. You clearly don't get it. That's fine. But it's better to remain silent and be thought ignorant...

OP
OP
A

Ariel3

Feb 27, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first would be in reference to the unaltered geofacts pictured by TH. Look at them. Yet if they all three came out of the same hole, would that not be peculiar?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread