Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Nic is person who wondered about his find.
I’m so tired of this I really don’t know why I keep inspiring you with my comments.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I want to see more and better pix of that first green one... it COULD be a BC jade adz blade but I don't have enough views to be sure. A Washington State beach would be the right context for that and it has the right size, shape and perhaps, material.

DrJay73

Greenie
Apr 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some artifacts are so easy to identify a child can spot them. Older more crude artifacts require a bit more to recognize. The clues don't necessarily show up well in photographs. There seems to be a strong bias for knapped artifacts. Not as many knapped artifacts to be found in Pacific Northwest. An early stone knife or hand axe might have a dull edge after years of use and bouncing around in the dirt for thousands years. Doesn't mean it wasn't used as as a tool.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
The spanner in the works here is semantics. Probable, and even obvious, tools get rubbished here because, not showing evidence of intentional modification, they are -- strictly speaking -- not artifacts. This may well be true, as far as it goes. But newer people, especially, want to know if their stuff was used for some purpose(s) -- not whether it was modified.

Classic case in point : "Indian marbles." Rarely (if ever) modified. But, in many cases, no-brainier tools. Tube pipes, in particular, cannot be used without them. Without a round pebble just the least bit smaller than the tube's inside diameter to keep the smoking mixture where it belongs (and out of your mouth) but letting the smoke through around the edges, no dice. The tube and the pebble were one functional unit.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With out proof of a rock being worked or used there is no proof it was ever touched or used by man and it would be strictly conjecture that it is an artifact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions