IS THERE A SOURCE ONLINE FOR INTERPRETING GEOPHYSICAL IMAGING

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
wondering where one might look for info on reading/interpreting the images made by equipment such as ground resistivity units, arc geo loggers, etc and run through software such as snuffler, archeosurveyor, etc..............they make nice pictures but i can find nowhere that explains what the red/orange/yellow/blue/white and etc colors represent....what shows a void ? how about a long filled in {or not so long} excavation, what would an actual buried metal target look like on these ?...not on a testboard but out in the ground where the units are used, where there are things that might cause pic to be maybe not so perfect ....i have veiwed tim williams videos and while they are right helpful on the subject of the units/eq involved and explain well what is on the videos they don't explain why his test board targets show as red/orange on the pics, or why his field targets show as blue, or why the two show different...if someone had one of these type pics and it was nearly all red/orange with blue circular areas on them, it would tend to cause one to want to dig the whole area ....especially if looking at the pics in 3D like on archeosurveyor 2 and seeing numerous downward spikes looking like shafts down into the ground coming from these colors ???.......thanks.........gldhntr

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Different methods look at anomalies differently, and even different manufacturers of the same method might assign or process colors differently. It's sorta like VDI numbers on metal detectors, everyone is different.

The best approach is to take a unit and run a lot of tests on known buried targets, fills, and voids. Find out what it is telling you before you attempt to look for unknown anomalies.

- Carl

OP
OP
G

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
thanks carl...as always you are a wealth of knowledge....like your new website.....gldhntr

alexismex

Greenie
Oct 7, 2008
The relative colors of the scan it is in proportions of the signals ej- high signal is color yellow , red medium and blue low signal o low voltage detected it is very easy to understand you can make you own scale color in Surfer8 in 2 ...4...8 ...16 o more colors you want
see this photo the first target it is a 200liters tank in vertical position at 3 meters depht ...the second target is a tank but in horizontal position at 2,5 meters....all the smalls spots are some trash around with a minilogger and a pulse detector with round coil of 16inch if you want 3D you can use Vumate it is very easy to use
like they say in the forum it is easy to clean very well a small field surface of ground (it is the hard work !!!!) and to make test with your own target (ej: tank 200lts, gallon , aluminium car wheels,etc...)..
We have our own field test and every time we pass the coil above the target the image of the minilog give the same image "more or less" if you fix well your audio treshold

Attachments

• campo111fotoWEB.jpg
    campo111fotoWEB.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 492

jesus

May 9, 2009
Very nice plots Alexis. One question for you : If you change the direction of your XY plot( ej. north, to south or east west etc ), do you have same images or change in big proportion ?. Thanks alexis.

alexismex

Greenie
Oct 7, 2008
hello Jesus,
this plot is make north south, i never take the plot of this area east west because the field test ditch is oriented N-S
but i will take it next time to see the difference!!!
i think there is very very little difference because the pulse of the metal detector is too strong to the relative earth field strenght
saludos

Tim Williams

Dec 24, 2005
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Arc-Geo Logger-TM-808-Garrett XL500-Deepstar
Your plots look good alexismex. I'm happy to see you have the Arc-geo mini down! I hope soon to see some good deep finds from you. God bless and have a Merry Christmas!

Tim

OP
OP
G

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
hey tim...i contacted you awhile back ....since then i traded a minelab detector to a fellow here {tom kamrowski } for an arc geo mini he won on a raffle ticket at waats 2007...brand new, never even had a battery in it....i am letting you know this is the reason i never recontacted you about the imaging {been busy out playing with your unit !}, and to let you, and anyone else here interested know you have hit the nail on the head with the logger...adds a whole new perspective to detecting to say the least..i wouldn't be surprised at all to see someone like whites pick up on it and want to incorporate the logger into one of their units :icon_thumleft:..now if i could just get you to put out a book that would help explain the images to dummies like myself i will be in business !!!,,,,,thanks.........gldhntr.....todd hall

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions