TARGET ID AND DEPTH

pgleba

Oct 4, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
I recently discovered something about my metal detector that I suppose everyone on the planet knew except me. That is, when a coin is very deep, target ID doesn't work.

I air tested a quarter at far "depth" and found that my meter needle (analog) remains way to the left at iron and stays there when I get a "beep" in VLF disc; the All Metal mode gives a mellow sound. I turned the Disc down to zero. One day I was desperate for something to read. I actually read the owner's manual and that's what is said all along. Along with practice target identification which I haven't done; will do when the weather warms up.

I got all excited when I learned this. I said I can now find really deep coins. In practice what I found were tiny bits of metal at shallow depths. I suppose one could go along retrieving tiny bits of metal until a deep signal appears. I did it for a bit but ran out of patience rapidly. I turned up the Disc and went only for quarter and better signals.

I presume that if I turned up the Disc to eliminate the tiny bits of metal I would also eliminate any signals for really deep coins.

I suppose that this target ID, depth, Disc setting phenomena obtains also for the modern digital detectors. Any thoughts?

Attached is a nice photo of pyrite for no particular reason.

Peter

Attachments

• PYRITE Spain.jpg
    PYRITE Spain.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 425
  • PYRITE Spain.jpg
    PYRITE Spain.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 419

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
from what i can gather this seems to be true with all makes and models. the deeper you get the less accurate the id becomes. just the way it is i guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread