JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Re: Need to move a few cases of 100+ year Old Dynamite. Any Ideas??

Chances are it is highly unstable :o Be very carefull!! After awhile the n.g. can crystallize making it extremely shock sensetive :-X I would research it more before moving it or maybe call a professional.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Call an Explosives Expert in your area.

I Personally Don't think Old Dynamite is as Dangerious as Everyone says,
BUT I wouldn't trust My Belief system on this to take chances.

I REPEAT.

CALL AN EXPERT !

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Run! very fast

Attachments

• Untitled01.jpg
    Untitled01.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 710

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005

I think there are a few EOD guys here; I'm not one of them. No experience, just know a few facts.

If dynamite sits for a long time, the nitroglycerine will settle to the bottom, concentrate, and leak out. This is very unstable.

Frozen dynamite is also very sensitive.

Dynamite can be burned rather than detonated, but I don't think you want to try this with a big pile.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL Wreckdiver !

Someguy said "Dynamite can be burned rather than detonated".

This is why I wonder.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

[ColoradoMike
Need to know how to move a few cases of dynamite safely. Does anyone know how volatile this stuff really is.
~~~~~

A) What I am going to say is for your general information. You should call the State division of mining or hazardous materials, and tell them exactly what you have, how it looks, and the conditions - see following.

1. Most important, is there a "whitish granular coating" appearing anywhere? On the dynamite, the container, or on the ground? If so, just back away quietly and come on down here for a longer and safer life fighting with the drug Cartels and freelance bandidos. That is a combination of Nitroglycerin, extremely sensitive and naturally a very high plosive. A spark, or a shock of any kind can set it off.

To a certain extent, Dynamite that has "not" deteriorated to this extent, can be burned "in the open" relatively safely in small lots. Keep a tongue in cheek on that word "relative".

Dyanamite that "does" have this granular residue is extremely unstable. In this state, sometimes just picking it up may initiate the explosive train.

Under certain conditions soaking it with water can make it less sensitive, but this includes the entire area that may have this whitish exudate. This means wetting it into every part of the mass, al la immersion for an extended time.

Noble earned his money to establish the Noble Peace prize by finding that he could mix Nitroglycerin with a inert substance making it far far safer to handle. Later they added additional components to make it even more powerful. If any markings are still visible they will tell you how much Nitroglycerin is mixed in the Dynamite i.e. 20 30 40 %. Generally in mining they used the most concentrated form available.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
. Just need to move it a few feet. Is it as dangerous as we are lead to believe. Can it be neutralized etc?
Thanks for any input.
~~~~~
A) See above, it is just as dangerous to move it, pick it up etc. if it has the whitish granular exudation as 100 miles.

Final word, call the state division of mining or hazardous materials.

I once had to move a case of dynamite that was covered with this whitish Exidue, sheehs. It had to be moved. fortunately there was a shaft nearby that was filled to the top with water so I eased it over there and gently let it disappear into the depths. No I wasn't killed.

I did a bit of bomb disposal during the war. wonderful way to check on your Adrenalin production.

Till Eulenspeigle

p.s. If yu are one of those that enjoys playing Russian roulette with a revolver in a dark room , you just might get way with it, but I suggest that you will your apparatus/machines etc., to me first.

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Apr 4, 2004
Colorado

Thanks for the good info. I can't for reasons you can guess bring anyone in to remove it. I really am thinking this is a KGC set up, but I don't know enough about that stuff to say 100%. I wonder if I capped the entrance & drilled down into the cave from above if I could safely water log it as you suggested. What about that foamy stuff they use on runways on the movies when a plan crashes?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

author=ColoradoMike

Thanks for the good info. I can't for reasons you can guess bring anyone in to remove it.

~~~~~
A) If there is nothing of value "showing", why not?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

thinking this is a KGC set up,
~~~~~~
A) If it was setup within the past 50 or so years, they would have used a more stable and higher energy explosive, no? But most important, if it was a trap, why would they leave the dynamite in an exposed site so that you could see it?

Does it have detonating or primer cords, fuse, or any wires leading into the Dyanamite? If not, then it is strictly a deposit, not a trap.

. I wonder if I capped the entrance & drilled down into the cave from above if I could safely water log it as you suggested.
~~~~~
A) Very possible, but where would you get that much water?

What about that foamy stuff they use on runways on the movies when a plan crashes?
~~~~~

A) Mostly a lubricant and fire retardant combination, not a penetrant.

CALL YOUR STATE DIV. OF MININ, HAZARDOUS MATERIELS, OR -- NEAREST EXPOSIVE DEALER.""--.

Last couple of notes -Nitroglycerin remover and deactivator.

1 1/2 qrts of water, 3 1/2 quarts of Alcohol, 1 qt acetone, 1 # Sodium sulphate (60%).
Use freely to decompose Nitroglycerin - at least 2 gallons for each lb of Nitroglycerin.

Allow sufficient time to work.

Till Eulenspeigle

[/quote]

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

If its in the open, lay a fresh stick next to it and detonate it, should take care of it rather quickly..... ;D

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Apr 4, 2004
Colorado

RealdeTayopa said:
author=ColoradoMike

Thanks for the good info. I can't for reasons you can guess bring anyone in to remove it.

~~~~~
A) If there is nothing of value "showing", why not?

thinking this is a KGC set up,
~~~~~~
A) If it was setup within the past 50 or so years, they would have used a more stable and higher energy explosive, no? But most important, if it was a trap, why would they leave the dynamite in an exposed site so that you could see it?

Does it have detonating or primer cords, fuse, or any wires leading into the Dyanamite? If not, then it is strictly a deposit, not a trap.

. I wonder if I capped the entrance & drilled down into the cave from above if I could safely water log it as you suggested.
~~~~~
A) Very possible, but where would you get that much water?

What about that foamy stuff they use on runways on the movies when a plan crashes?
~~~~~

A) Mostly a lubricant and fire retardant combination, not a penetrate.

CALL YOUR STATE DIV. OF MININ, HAZARDOUS MATERIELS, OR -- NEAREST EXPOSIVE DEALER.""--.

Last couple of notes -Nitroglycerin remover and deactivate.

1 1/2 qrts of water, 3 1/2 quarts of Alcohol, 1 qt acetone, 1 # Sodium sulphate (60%).
Use freely to decompose Nitroglycerin - at least 2 gallons for each lb of Nitroglycerin.

Allow sufficient time to work.

Till Eulenspeigle
[/quote]

It's right on top of the target. Right on top. From the arms in there I'd say the date is late 1870-1880's. I'm no expert though.

The alcohol you mention is that like wood alcohol or rubbing or what? How long do I let it work, overnight? Are you really really sure you won't get me killed?
Wanna make a $100 bucks.....LOL

Thanks for the help again.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

4 {temporary} laborers and 2 cases of coldweiser,,,,get them buzzed, point the direction, and take cover......simply rake target up off ground when they are finished.............................g

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Apr 4, 2004
Colorado

gldhntr said:
4 {temporary} laborers and 2 cases of coldweiser,,,,get them buzzed, point the direction, and take cover......simply rake target up off ground when they are finished.............................g

Maybe I can get a few of those will work for food guys?
I thought of tieing it off with about 2oo' of rope to my ATV with plenty of slack & just taken off like a bat out of hell. I'm afraid the cave would crumble. It's so far outin the middle of nowhere no one would hear a thing. I even thought well if it does cave in, I could always just dig it out. The other relics would be destroyed though.
Hell I'm too damn young & goodlooking to die though. LOL

ac385

Jul 26, 2005
Ga

Hmmmm LOST dynamite meets young Indiana Jones cave. We need photos! Just don?t blow yourself up before you take the photos.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

author=ColoradoMike

Are you really really sure you won't get me killed?
Wanna make a $100 bucks.....LOL
~~~~~~
A ?? why do you think that I said "will me your machines and equipment" colorado?

Till Eulenspiegle

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.

Colo. Mike:
The stuff really does burn!
I have used it, many times, to heat up a cup of coffee !
Almost as good as "C-4" !
But! Old Dynamite is really deadly!
Just! Picking it up/moving can cause the liquid nitro that has leaked out and settled on the bottom of the sticks,
To BREAK!
This causes a really nice LOUD and Destructive sound! :-\
::) IT BLOWS UP! :o

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

Just had a thought, it came to me from a couple of posts and putting two and two together.... instead of tying a rope around it and taking off like a bat outta hell, maybe do the same thing but GENTLY move it as far as you can away from the target before it explodes? Of course try not to have anything in direct line with you that could become a projectile....

A

ascetic_rose

No site is woth losing your life over. From what I can see you have two choices. The better one is contacting the state government and having them send a disposal team out to take care of it. If you really don't want to do that then buy or make some explosives of your own, very carefully lay them around the case of dynamite not allowing them to touch any of the dynamite or crystals directly, get a few thousand feet away for safety and detonate your explosives. They should set off the dynamite as well, thus removing your problem. If neither of those things are an option then you should just forget about that area.

Just don't try to move it yourself, and don't try to work around it. In fact you might want to avoid touching it at all. Any shock might set them off. Then again it might not. But it isn't worth the risk. Do what you feel is best, but I would hate for you to die because you chose to keep this site a secret and try to move or dispose of the dynamite yourself.

If you would like you can contact me at [email protected]

Leones Corazon

Mar 26, 2006
Grand Junction Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808
Equinox 800
Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Other

Well...sounds like you have one hell of a pickle there mike. I was a wrench in the army for 15 years so i never got to deal with explosives. I'm sure with some research an appropriate solution can be had. I work on an oil rig for weeks at a time in parachute colorado. They use explosives to perforate the wells after they are drilled and before the well can produce. I'll ask around and see what i can find out to help you out.

DW

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

for a decent percentage of what is under it,, i'll be happy to come soak it in some kerosene for a while and move it any where you want.............g

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions