NEW MEXICO: Finding Clay Pots and the best (least expensive equipment) to Use

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hello and thanks for taking time to read my post. I live in New Mexico and would love to find old pottery. Geophysics and the corresponding equipment used is all new to me, as I have always used detectors in the past. Can White's 808 detect clay pots (Magnetometers)? Is there any equipment that I can afford to purchase (500 of less?)

Are there any suggestions for recovering clay pots if found? Special care steps? Transporting, etc?

Also: LOOKING FOR SOMEONE IN NEW MEXICO (ABQ) THAT MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN PARTNERING WITH ME FOR THESE TRIPS??

Scott
Albuquerque, NM

OP
OP
ScottNewMexico

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
WOW. I am SHOCKED that NOBODY on this forum has a clue about this subject?????? :-\ No answers to most any of my posts regarding New Mexico?? Hmmm. This post has been here a WEEK or more now.

OP
OP
ScottNewMexico

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Yeah, I understand. Me too for that matter. New Mexico has lots of clay pots. A local found 2 or 3 anisazi (spelling?) pots. Auctioned 2 of them for 30K and donated the other to local museum. Silver, gold and platinum are indeed great finds, but some of these clay pots are the mother load. Just takes different euipment. What kind of equipment? Have no idea really, so I posted here.

OP
OP
ScottNewMexico

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hey Turtle!

Yea!!!! That would be TOOOOOOO cool if you came back to NM! You are correct that noone lives here and that yes-this is a state that has a ton to offer. I need to locate an OLD OLD city map of Santa Fe sometime to look where the oldest roads are there. Since the Cathedrals are built starting in the mid to late 1500's I believe that there is potential there...exactly where? Don't know YET.

You TOO have a NM friend to go hunting with! Just let mew know when you are dropping in again and I will make it a point to meet up with you to say hi. Only one problem, no real good place here, as you know to SCUBA DIVE!! I miss that a lot - got my Open Water in 1984 at a young age. And just so that you know, I am not from NM, but have been here a long time, so I have essentially converted into one :-)

Long Range locators eh? Ok then. I will get busy doing the research on them and keep in touch with you on it. I still want to reopen that old project that you and your dad worked on until the 80's. That would be fun at the very least. Lots and LOTS of work is ahead, but first...you have to get back!

As far as the frequency question goes, I think that fired clay pottery exhibits a different magnetic signature. In fact, I know that it does as archeologists routinely find the spots where fires were built and maintained, all by magnetrometer measurements. The one I like (can't remember the model, but its EXPENSIVE AS #@%! at around 25,000) but it gives a detailed high res image 20 feet deep and pretty large dimensions length and width. It has 16 sensors and can handle level AND unlevel grounds! If only...wish I were wealthy, ha ha!

In closing - bring it on Turtle! I am ready and waiting for a serious (well, almost serious, lol!) partner to hunt with. There are many treasures to be found in a place that most do not want to fool with. A place that is beautiful...and deadly. Many men have died in this desert land doing similar activities and frankly, I want to avoid becoming a statistic! You know how serious that part is and that is a big reason that this state is mostly virgin. There are numerous sites with raw jewels and even ASBESTOS here too, and many other hazardous/nuclear naturals.

Hope that you do actually make it Turtle. Til' then...

Scott

Hey Scott
Turtle here; man, it seems like there aren't many new mexicans on here huh? well, you got a NM freind here, but you know, I'm in florida now... stuck here to just dive and fish and have fun in the sun... BUT I am going to get the wifey to take a trip over there sooner than expected... like within a month! to look at houses in ABQ! and in my home town near santa fe.
With any LUCK wifey will find a house that meets ALL her qualifications. And you will have a new partner. (if you want) hey, what part of the state are you from originally?
ANYHOOO.....
Let met tell you what I have learned about something that may help you search for the stone warez-----> research Long Range Locators. There is a big controversy as to whether they work, but I'm willing to get one and try it when I move out there. Anyway, I think, and anyone please correct me.... but I think they have frequency generators on them, or maybe you can just get a frequency generator... or build one yourself, there are plans available...
I think then you would find out what frequency this type of clay is in tuned with, and take it from there.... (utilizing the method perscribed by the unit, or tecniques you learn on here) but first you need to have researched and know the approximate area this stuff is at. cuz a needle in a haystack is one thing, but a needle in new mexico??? oh my god!! that's why we got us a nice big azz state that is almost a virgin, loaded with cherrys to pick at our door steps. You and me are a couple of the luckiest guys on this forum. Being from there, we have more accessability than any outsiders would, as we know how protective our village folk are! ANd how to talk to them for the most part...
So, Bro, hope this info helps ya. I would have answered sooner but I been messing with so many other things lately. PEACE Your Freind Turtle

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ScottNewMexico said:
Long Range locators eh? Ok then. I will get busy doing the research on them and keep in touch with you on it.

Start here... http://www.thunting.com/geotech, click on the LRL section. They are basically money-making scams, and have no ability to actually locate anything. I offer a $25,000 prize to anyone who can successfully demonstrate one in a randomized blind test.

You might try a mag... I'm not sure, but the firing process might align the magnetic properties of the clay.

- Carl

OP
OP
ScottNewMexico

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Carl-NC said:
ScottNewMexico said:
Long Range locators eh? Ok then. I will get busy doing the research on them and keep in touch with you on it.

Start here... http://www.thunting.com/geotech, click on the LRL section. They are basically money-making scams, and have no ability to actually locate anything. I offer a $25,000 prize to anyone who can successfully demonstrate one in a randomized blind test.

You might try a mag... I'm not sure, but the firing process might align the magnetic properties of the clay.

- Carl

Hi Carl, I read your posts regarding this and appreciate your help and input. The technology seems rather theoretical at this stage of the game, but I will try to remain open-minded about the technology. I have a couple of friends that are scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratories - I will get their input on this technology. Let's see if they disagree - they work with frequencies every single day making the toys that they make there.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ScottNewMexico said:
The technology seems rather theoretical at this stage of the game, but I will try to remain open-minded about the technology.

Well, the vast majority of LRL "technology" is just dowsing, with some do-nothing eye candy tossed in to jack up the price.

I have a couple of friends that are scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratories - I will get their input on this technology. Let's see if they disagree - they work with frequencies every single day making the toys that they make there.

There is some legitimate science in which elements can be distinguished by their spectral signatures, and there is legitimate science in which magnetic resonance can be used for imaging. Unfortunately, these methods won't work for detecting clay pots, or gold, or other desirable "treasure". Folks who sell devices claiming this capability, make money selling devices, not digging up treasure.

- Carl

P

peg legged

When I was prospecting in AZ in 1979 there was a guy not far away that was having a swimming pool dug in his back yard. The diggers started to recover some ancient pottery. The property owner wanted nothing to do with this stuff so he gave me severaL POTS and a Rams Bowl.
The rest he gave to the University of AZ.
I sold the Rams Bowl for $18,000.00.
There IS money in old pottery.
Peg Leg

dcyoung9

Greenie
Jul 11, 2006
Dallas, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ScottNewMexico ---SNIP--old pottery. Geophysics and the corresponding equipment used is all new to me-- SNIP -- Are there any suggestions for recovering clay pots if found? Special care steps? Transporting said:
Hi Scott,
I would listen to Cap Z. when he said the following:

Be careful with the Anastasie...you might get an unwanted visit from the Feds.
Cap Z.

I went to the trial of two of my friends who were looking for civil war artifacts here in the Dallas area. That was about 3 years (or more) ago. The case is STILL under appeal. The fed has their truck, boat, metal detectors and diving equipment.

Right now in another Texas county there is a move to ban ALL metal detectors from ANY park etc..

The President of the Gold Prospectors Association almost went to jail for diving under a bridge in Alabama.
Alabama HAD (may still have) a law that stated that ANYTHING over 100 yrs old belonged to the state of AL. Didn't make any difference if it was your great grandmothers wedding band, if it had been in the ground over 100 yrs it belonged to the state.
You don't want to mess with these people it could be very expensive and wreck your entire life because it IS considered a felony.

Now that's all the gloom and doom....

I am a native of NM.
Born at Regina, which is just a few miles above Cuba, off highway to Farmington.
Graduated from Los Lunas High and went to UNM a couple of years with geology as my major.
Still own 100 acres there and have 2 sisters and families there.
Been in Dallas since 64. Been all over the Caballos at T or C looking for Doc Noss, Buster Ward......treasures...

Now about finding the Pots...
Listen to Carl regarding the LRLs.
Dell Winders (sp) is a nice guy. I haven't met him but he and I have a very close mutual friend that sees him now and then and he and I have often talked about Dell. He'd like to sell you one of his LRLs I'm sure.

You asked if you could find the pots with a metal detector or some other instrument...
It depends.

If the pots have BEEN FIRED there is a good chance you could find them with a metal detector that is good at finding HOT ROCKS.
OR If you want to go with something more sophisticated and more sensitive a magnetometer should work well. ALL OF THIS IS ASSUMING THE POTS HAVE BEEN FIRED... Otherwise good luck....look and dig.

Now you may be wondering what firing has to do with it. Well, for the same reason campfires can be located with a magnetometer. When most materials, clay, dirt, rocks, etc... are heated to a high temperature the molecules will align with the N and S poles of the earth.
So what you have is a weak magnetic field that is created in the material. This material can act like a hot rock to a metal detector (PI would probably work pretty well) or in the case of the magnetometer the weak magnetic field helps to distort the earths magnetic field enough that the change is detectable with the mag. Little pieces of that black basalt you have out there drive a magnetometer absolutely nuts.

Some day I'm going to get back out that way and check out a place where years ago I found some very radioactive dinosaur bones. I'm getting my Scintillators ready.

Be careful and Good luck,
Don

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
Re: NEW MEXICO: Finding Clay Pots and the best (least expensive equipment) to Us

I would take the advice of Carl NC, who runs the geotech forum.

I don't think there is anyone else with more knowledge and information on treasure hunting. He has designed and built great detectors and magnetometers.

Long range locaters have always been a controversy. I remember one that had a little antenna on the front end that moved back and forth, I don't think it is in production anymore, but what a scam. I think Kellyco used to sell those.

good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread