Best Cheap Tech to Map Out Old Roads & Buildings?

kc7rad

Nov 13, 2005
Best Cheap Tech to Map Out Old Roads & Buildings?

Hi all,

Trying to locate some early 1800's roads & buildings that have been covered up long ago. I have been looking into inexpensive methods of mapping; looks like some forms of magnetometer or resistivity meter would work. Seems like all I would need to do is plot out my area, take appropriate measurements and apply to a map.

Just not sure which one would be better. Thoughts?

I am not looking for a super-high-tech toy, just want something to give me a rough indication that 'something' might be down there.

The Fat Quarters Magnetometer kits - would they work?

Thanks all.
-Ken

goldfinder

Mar 31, 2003
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Best Cheap Tech to Map Out Old Roads & Buildings?

It is impossible to remove old roads from some kind of detection. The best is aerial surveying as they show up especially in certain lighting conditions. Infrared usually works for this kind of aerial surveying.

I have built the Fat mags and am quite certain they would not work unless there is metal around the old buildings. Again, IR survey would show up foundation outlines etc.

Good luck on your endeavor.
Goldfinder

Willy Bayot

Greenie
Nov 24, 2007
Re: Best Cheap Tech to Map Out Old Roads & Buildings?

kc7rad said:
Hi all,

Trying to locate some early 1800's roads & buildings that have been covered up long ago. I have been looking into inexpensive methods of mapping; looks like some forms of magnetometer or resistivity meter would work. Seems like all I would need to do is plot out my area, take appropriate measurements and apply to a map.

Just not sure which one would be better. Thoughts?

I am not looking for a super-high-tech toy, just want something to give me a rough indication that 'something' might be down there.

The Fat Quarters Magnetometer kits - would they work?

Thanks all.
-Ken

A resistivity survey could be useful but it takes ages and great physical efforts to make a survey of reasonable surface.
A good PPM would probably be able to detect the variations of underground structure generated by buried wall foundations and other destroyed structures as well as old ferrous junks.
However, that needs to have a much better sensitivity than the simple fluxgate sensors you make reference to.
See my web site here: http://users.skynet.be/fa352591/index.htm

Willy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread