Help needed on Mag Choice

ceolacanth

Nov 20, 2004
Hi all I am hoping that someone can help me with this choice:
Have a small scale project in East Africa, sent Cesium mag which didnt enjoy the heat oh well
Need a replacement looking at Marine Magnetics mini mag (overhauser) as one option or
Aquascan AX2000 or MC5 (pro) and Planet electronics MX500 I have owned AQuascan products before and
although Low end range would probably suit this project. I do not want to send High cost unit as Things tend to go missing in these parts(have no idea what they would use it for??)
If anyone has hands on knowledge regarding these products ANY input would be greatly appreciated
My familiarity with Magnetometers is mainly practical with a limited scientific understanding of the basic principles, however the electronic wizardrey contained within in my view is best left to the Wizards.
Regards

C

Charles,Oak Island

I was using the MX500 with a Garmin GPS 48 but have switched to a Apelco 15 (for my next trip) so I can run both items off the same battery

OP
OP
C

ceolacanth

Nov 20, 2004
Thank you Charles for the input,

I have emailed to Planet Electronics to find out the depth capability of the Tow Fish (funny they dont have it in the specs sheet)
Nice waters you have (from picture) or was that just a really good day?

C

Charles,Oak Island

Thats about how the water is at that location 3/4/of the time, it's just crossing the shoals to get to it thats tricky.

wreckee

Greenie
Jun 14, 2004
I purchased a Aquascan AX2000 last year and have found this unit very easy to operate. With it's LCD display you can see if you have had a hit even if you had your back turned for 30 seconds or more. If you need some help with the downloading of data etc.. or the forming of a magnetic map I'll be more than happy to help you out the best I can. Don't feel guilty if you have multiple questions as I was very much lost myself when I started .
Regards , Nick. ;D

OP
OP
C

ceolacanth

Nov 20, 2004
Nick
Thank you for your offer of assistance, I know I often come across as the fool I really am but my dilema here was not really regarding the operation of Mags just that I have an application for a low cost Magnetometer, having owned an Aquascan in the past and now discovering there are a few low cost options on the market I was just trying to get some kind of balance as to the new products out there.

I ended up with a Aquascan MC5 PRO its not as slick as the 2000 but as I run all my surveys through computer anyhow it made no sense in my case to pay the higher cost. The built in memory of the 2000 can be handy though in small boat surveys in the surf zone where you wouldnt want to take a computer, but I have played with RF transmitters and send data to a computer based on shore or vessel moored offshore quite successfully in the past.These are also so small and cheap these days and it really reduces clutter.

Thank you once more for your response and I may just take you up one day on that offer of help as I tend to go through life with never enough of it.

Regards

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread