Solar Energetic Particle Event Effects (aka: SEPE)

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Sun has cycles we used to call "Sun Spots" which could sometimes affect electronics, TV or radio reception. We will be experiencing a solar event called
Solar Energetic Particle Event
where nothing electrical could operate for a long period of time. And batteries, the mainstay of most peoples emergency planning, will no longer work.

This SEPE event is expected to occur between 2010 and 2013. With certainty. Unfortunately the last people to understand what a SEPE means are us.

"Global governments are preparing to ‘try to minimize societal impacts’ for a significant Solar Energetic Particle Event ( SEPE ) coming that will ‘initially affect regional populations’ and ‘secondarily impact global populations’ immediately dependent on ‘consumable food’ and ‘fresh drinking water’ worldwide."

"Nothing can be done, to ‘stop’ that Solar Energetic Particle Event ( SEPE ) from happening on Earth, but plenty can be done to ‘reduce societal effects’ so long as people are taught ‘how to survive without electricity’ for an ‘extended period of time’.

"The loss of electricity would ripple across the social infrastructure of the United States and other foreign country citizens whom would see ”water distribution affected within several hours, perishable foods and medications lost in 12-hours to 24-hours, loss of heating, air conditioning, sewage disposal, phone service, fuel re-supply and so on,” indicated Kappenmann in the NASA 2009 report."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are on your own when this happens. After it happens there will be no communications. No TV, no radio, no weather forecasts, no emergency notifications except by word of mouth. Suddenly we will be in the dark living as our ancestors did 150 years ago. No water, no food deliveries, no toilets, no Metal Detectors, no batteries, no power grid for up to ten years.

As far as I can find the only information about what will happen is from this report:
http://conceptactivityresearchvault.wordpress.com/2011/01/02/solar-energetic-particle-event-effects/
BB

Attachments

• SEPI_04.jpg
    SEPI_04.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 226

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
This may become a reality sooner than we think. Already we are seeing solar activity increasing to the point of effecting our electrical grid and all our electrical instruments will stop working when this gets strong enough. The only thing to do to protect our electric or electronic instruments is to build a Faraday shield around them. This will increase your odds that and EMP wave will not destroy your sensitive electronic circuits. Good Luck. rockhound

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ten years? Hardly We had a category 4 solar event in August 2011 (5 is highest) and no one noticed except airliners had to be careful of trusting their GPS navigation. I think you confused "11 year cycle" with duration of nuisance effects.

But heck, we don't have electricity to the barn, heat with wood and manage pretty well, so I guess I'd miss TV and the Internet. Bet it would be a pain convincing the local gas station to let me pump gas out of the ground tank and not be able to use the cash register to charge me.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any number of things can take out the power grid. the problem isn't necessarily any weakness in the SYSTEM. The problem is our DEPENDENCE on the power grid, and the fact that we are spoiled.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
The strongest recorded solar flare (EMP), electro magnetic pulse, occured in 1859. It knocked out all the telegraph systems worldwide. That was the only electrical and communication system used then. If it happened today we would lose all our electrical and communication systems. No electricity, phones, TV, computer, automobile, and no trucks transporting products to our local stores, especially food. The first and biggest concern would be fresh drinkable water, followed next by sanitation disposal. Most people would panic and start looting and destroying everything. In just two days, stores would not have anything in them of value.
Most of those not lucky enough to get to the grocery store during those two days would surely starve in a week or two. Good Luck. rockhound

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know, where I live it's not unusual to go for a week, sometimes more, in the winter without power when ices takes out powerlines. So far the neighbors haven't eaten us and anarchy hasn't ruled as the dogs of war ravaged the land. Last count we had 53 chickens, two turkeys, three sheep and a bunch of heritage (non-hybrid "self" pollinating) vegetable seeds.

So we'll just wait for the cities to smolder out and then rebuild society.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
That is a great way to look at it, if something happens. I would like for society to rebuilt also if I were alive when the catastrophy was over. Hopefully nothing will happen but the odds are against us. Throughout history civilizations have flourished then vanished because of drought, famine, or other disasters. each time civilizations were rebuilt and a different type of society was started. If something of that magnitude happens this time, hopefully enough people will survive to rebuild a better society that the one we have now. Good Luck. rockhound

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread