WHAT TECHNOLOGY ?

riobravo

Apr 2, 2006
south texas to the east coast
hi bull,
in my opinion a magnetometer is probably the best piece of equipment for the job. they aren't cheap, but depending on the area, can get very good results/ combined with todays software not to hard to use.
depending on your situation you can rent, buy, or hire someone to do a survey for you.
www.geometrics.com
hope this helps.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Hi Joe,
I think that I may rent or purchase a Fishfinder sonar for what I need.
If it works FINE and if it does not I can use it as a sinker ;D ;D
Peg Leg

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would concur with the earlier post about a magnetometer. The suggestion for a sensor from Geophex is poor for this application. I would suggest a magnetometer from Geometrics along with a copy of Maglog, also from Geometrics, and you will also need a boat of appropriate size and a GPS unit with realtime correction. This is not a cheap process. I have done similar surveys in Culebra, Puerto Rico looking for unexploded ordnance on the bottom of a bay. The water was at least 30 feet deep and UXO are a much smaller target than a cannon. You would most likely end up subcontracting the whole process to someone who does this all the time. Here is a list of approximate purchase prices.

Geometrics G-882 Marine Magnetometer ~ $60K
Geometrics Maglog data acqusition software ~ $1500
Trimble DSM-232 GPS ~ $5K
Omnistar VBS GPS correction service ~ $800 per year
Boat ~ $?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions