Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know the method for getting night crawlers where you have two metal rods in the ground then attach leads from a low voltage power supply? The worms get out of Dodge quickly. Easy harvesting if you don't kill yourself. :)

Question:
Would charging the ground in an area you'd like to detect make any difference? Would the signals be better? I'm thinking the next time I'm both fishing and worm searching and always have a detector with, I may give it a try. What do you guys think?
BB

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have never heard of that, but you never know, might be onto something. You might have to put something in the ground, like a coin, mark it, wet it and let it sit for a day, then try the battery and detector. Try it with and without the battery. And do let us know what happens.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hi Bob
My father used to do that 50 years ago and the worms just seemed to pop out of the ground,maybe the coins will too,please keep us posted how it works with coins.
Gary G.A.P.metal

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We used to "Hunt worms" with this technique too 50' of heavy gauge zip cord split. One ground rod cut into 4' pieces (only two needed). Used to hook up to an old Onan generator on the 12v side. Also, worked great for the sand shrimp. CAUTION! You need to be very alert to others wandering close or close in the water. We had a normally closed switch in line so to get current you had to be holding the button. Best safety we could come up with in those days. As far as charging coins etc in the ground I knew a guy that swore it worked. He'd run wires off his truck battery. Note 1. this was in the BFO days 2. I'd be worried about trying this with todays alternators & charging systems. I'd use a generator if I tried it today. At least you won't have to walk home if your alternator can't handle it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread