Brand new, How can I see whats under the soil, without going too high tech?

Trakehner

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brand new, How can I see what's under the soil, without going too high tech?

I have heard that there are devices which can show you what's under the ground, without having to use a regular metal detector. Is there something that is hand-held, like a regular metal detector, but still shows me what's underneath? I would like something that's under $1000. My ultimate goal is to find ancient relics, but anything old will suffice! Thank you in advance. ~Karen

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Brand new, How can I see what's under the soil, without going too high tech?

How can I see what's under the soil, without going too high tech?

Head to your local Ace Hardware store and ask for a device called a "shovel." Works quite well, very low-tech, very cheap.

Next step up is a target-ID type metal detector for a few $100. For a few $1000. Then you got serious geophysical instruments like GPR which take serious training and run a few $10,000. In between the lowly metal detector and the pro stuff are a variety of devices that sorta kinda do ground response mapping in a very crude way, which is sorta kinda useful in a limited way. This stuff is more often than not a test of the limits of human gullibility, especially if the words "long range" are present.

- Carl

hung

Jul 16, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tubedec A9000, Mineoro FG90, OKM Bionic X4
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Brand new, How can I see what's under the soil, without going too high tech?

Trakehner said:
I have heard that there are devices which can show you what's under the ground, without having to use a regular metal detector. Is there something that is hand-held, like a regular metal detector, but still shows me what's underneath? I would like something that's under $1000. My ultimate goal is to find ancient relics, but anything old will suffice! Thank you in advance. ~Karen

I'm sorry, but under 1k only if you build it yourself and use a free imaging software out of some available in the internet.
Devices like that used to be expensive in the past but now are relatively affordable, albeit well over 1K.

You have many options. From the less expensive to the most expensive units. These last ones achieve much deeper targets and have better softwares installed.
The less expensive units are the Nokta Golden King and the Jeohunter from Makro Detectors. They are turkish.
Both originally belonged to the same manufacturer but they split and turned into different corporations. The technology is the same. The units come with three different size coils and a control box with a GUI display. Golden King sells for about 7k and the jeohunter 5.5k.

The most expensive units are from OKM from Germany. They range from the small and compact Rover C to the most expensive and complex Explorer 5000 model.
Here you can have some data on the okms:
www.okmmetaldetectors.com

And here some info about the nokta and jeohunter, which in the case of the jeohunter, I feature a link with lots of info from a user taken from the forum runned by the same person above who told you to use a shovel:
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/nokta/nokta.php
http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16374

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread