Re-opening mines and claims

steve25

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2012
I'm wondering if I can get some user friendly info on re opening mines? My friend and I live in central Oregon and have been researching this stuff for a bit now, and came to the conclusion that doing any such thing means piles and piles of research and paper work. We are looking in the baker area and the south eastern area of Oregon. We have also looked at the ochocos out of prineville.. We have a friend who has mined for 30 plus years and said he will help out but we have to do all the research because that's going to be the hard work.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Start at the BLM office,
Phone: (503) 808-6008
Email: [email protected]
Hours: 8:45 AM to 4:30 PM (PT), M - F
http://www.blm.gov/or/st/en.html

Gold mining and prospecting is expensive, that is why gold is expensive. Current gold mining regulations, Federal, State and Local permitting, public hearings, yadda, yadda, yadda, make reopening hard rock mines VERY expensive. Good Luck!

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been researching the very same thing but not in your area. What I have found is that it is much much easier to buy an operating mine and just keep your permits current. The problem is that there is probably a reason someone is selling the mine. It could be for non-compliance/safety issues or because he thinks that it is played out.
If it is that he believes it is played out, then you have a chance that there may be something he overlooked. A search (or call) to your state's agency could reveal some non-compliance issues which should tell you to stay away.
There are a lot of websites that list claims and mines for sale. I am always skeptical.
au2u

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Comon down to Mexico lots of misc closed and partially open mines, prospects. Some good, some very poor, some fantastic.

I have one that has about $2,000 a ton Au, Ag, Pb, Cu, and Zc. See state mining agency assay report.

Here is one that I am presently investigating. It has deliberately constructed back fills in the main tunnel? why? Are there more further in ? We shall see. That is one of my crew .

It is the 'El nino' of the Tayopa group.

Don Jose de La Mancha

.jpgA) assay no one..jpg 5 pp Santa  nino.jpg 6 pp Santo Nino back fill.jpg 9 pp Santo nino.jpg

Attachments

• 8 pp Santo Nino beyond the first backfll.jpg
    8 pp Santo Nino beyond the first backfll.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 205

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
steve,

In most cases I tell people to stay the hell out of old mines, but considering what I am up to, it would be more than a little hypocritical. When you do go into the mine, make sure you take air monitors, explosive gas monitors, rescue breathers for everyone on the crew, and plenty of climbing gear. A six foot long bar is a necessity also. Use it to test the floor in front of you to look for covered winze. IT was common prctice to cover these with just wood and over time they become both rotten and covered with dust. One misstep and its game over.

You can also use the bar to poke at suspicious looking spots on the roof and check the soundness of timbers without having to get to close.

We spent 8 hours checking out the first 500 feet of this adit and so far it is solid.

Don Jose,

That backfill has me kinda curious. Wonder what is in there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread