Searching for Cannon

baytraderbutch

Oct 15, 2012
Ms Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites Gold Master, Whites Coin Master. Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm researching a cannon that was dumped into a bay. The cannon isn't iron but I don't know if its brass or bronze. I have a location but the water isn't clear enough to do a sight search and I suspect that it probably is buried beneath the sand. The water is less than fifteen feet deep. I need suggestions on equipment that can be used to locate it. I haven't searched anything in the water before.

gmradar

Mar 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An underwater magnetic locator could probably help. Email me if you need help.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
Uh, am I missing something? Gmradar said "An underwater magnetic locator could probably help." I thought it was said that the cannon was NOT iron but either brass or bronze. Does Bronze in a large enough chunk affect magnetic locators???

On the other hand, for BayTraderbutch, most old cannon were cast in what was called Gun Metal. Gun metal was usually an alloy that is a type of bronze – an alloy of copper (88%),tin (10%), and zinc (2%). Brass is a alloy of Copper and Zinc. Though through the years Brass and Bronze were used sometimes interchangeably, whether called a Brass cannon or a Bronze cannon, the makeup of the Cannon was basically Bronze, (copper, tin and zinc) If the lake is not too filled with trash metal, and the bottom is basically clean sand, a chunk of Bronze the size of a cannon should react to any decent metal detector. An detector being capable of being used under water would be the simplest bet.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Side scan sonar

INDEX.JPEG

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depending on how old the cannon is some of them had a little platinum in them

joska

Nov 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we use a Pulse star 2 to locate shipwrecks in Florida and with it you can easily locate the cannon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread