Need help to identify anomaly in GPR radargram. Void or not!....

ThomasJ

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. I would like to know the forum opinion on the below radargram, if it shows a void or not. The numbers above are distance in meters, and the vertical scale is 0 to 30 meters. The profile was created with a MALÅ GX 160 Mhz (range about 16 meters max, before noise). My guess for the soil is packed earth mixed with small rocks. Or pure bedrock.

We scanned as we are looking for archaeological anomalies. We did not just scan at random but information have lead us to this place. We are looking for a "back filled" cavity. I'm not a pro radargram reader, but does it not look like "settled" earth have left a cavity at the roof section of a back filled larger cavity? Maybe water filled? This "cavity" is located at about 10 to 12 meters depth?

I would really appreciate input from people with experience reading radargrams. If not a void, then what is it?

Radargram showing a possible void.jpg

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not your guy. It looks like a picture of a pond to me.

OP
OP
T

ThomasJ

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok.. do you mean that the black and white striped area in the middle is a water filled cavity? Or what do you mean with pond?

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry. I meant it looks like a pond. Ripples on the top of water. I was trying to be funny. I am sure someone with some expertise will weigh in.

jwatkins

Greenie
Feb 17, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
We deploy multiple electromagnetic instruments that include EM31, EM38, EM61...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of the country was this in? GPR can really on see down 5 feet or so....There is no way it can see 30 meters!

gmradar

Mar 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is your antenna shielded or not? This may be something from above if your antenna is un-shielded.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
[/QUOTE] What part of the country was this in? GPR can really on see down 5 feet or so....There is no way it can see 30 meters[/QUOTE]

Seems to me that it would depend on the material your signal is going through.Ive read heavy clay with salt present is a tough one,sandy soil is the best for signal penetration.Up to 30 feet for pipes laying in sandy soil.depending on your equipment.

looks like you might have a cave,chamber.comparing yours to other read outs.

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have the entire image, not cutoff?

gmradar

Mar 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still believe this is data from unshielded antenna so what you see is mainly something just above you.

jwatkins

Greenie
Feb 17, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
We deploy multiple electromagnetic instruments that include EM31, EM38, EM61...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of the country was this in? GPR can really on see down 5 feet or so....There is no way it can see 30 meters[/QUOTE]

Seems to me that it would depend on the material your signal is going through.Ive read heavy clay with salt present is a tough one,sandy soil is the best for signal penetration.Up to 30 feet for pipes laying in sandy soil.depending on your equipment.

looks like you might have a cave,chamber.comparing yours to other read outs.[/QUOTE]

Yes you are correct Red James. Meant to say something more like the subsurface material can effect how far the signal will move. I am down in the clay and we can't see far at all through it with the gpr

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jwatkins,

Also frequency of antenna will determine depth of readings and clarity of readings. Just like in metal detector 101, a lower frequency will punch deeper at the expense of clarity of the reading. A higher frequency antenna will show better clarity, but won't punch down as deep.

A smaller (read: Hand held) GPR that is actually very good on shallower targets, and very portable is the GSSI Profiler:

emsurvey-soilconductivity.jpg

Only good to about 8 feet, but do you really want to dig a hole deeper than eight feet deep? HAHAHA

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread