NEW TREASURE HUNTING EQUIPMENT

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the market today, what is the best equipment that can be used to find a large iron target over 10 feet deep. Is there anything that will do this? Is there any machine that can discriminate for different metals. I know there are a lot of claims but I am asking for treasure hunters that have used new machines including ground penetrating radar, magnetometers or any others?

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
A magnetometer will see only iron and can go tens of feet down for a dual proton. For a single proton can see a couple hundred feet down.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A magnetometer will see only iron and can go tens of feet down for a dual proton. For a single proton can see a couple hundred feet down.

Thanks my friend. It seems you and I are the only two treasure hunters on the forum?

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you specified iron, the recommended methods would either be magnetometry or electromagnetic induction (EMI). With magnetometry you can use either a single sensor or a gradiometer arrangement. Since magnetometry is a passive method, the signal falls off as 1/r^3 while EMI methods are active and the signal falls off as 1/r^6 with r being the distance between the target and sensor. There is not depth limit to magnetometry as it is purely a function of distance and the mass of the source. Since magnetometry is passive and the earth's magnetic field is the source, two sensors are normally used. You can have a base and a rover or two sensors set up as a gradiometer. The reason for two sensors is that the field is changing the same at both sensors. The spacing between sensors in a gradiometer arrangement can be changed to optimize the depth of investigation. For archaeological surveys the spacing is usually either 1.0 or 0.5 meters between sensors as most of the targets are in the top 2.0 meters.

Since there are multiple types of sensors that will meet your needs, the real question is what is your budget and how large of an area do you need to survey? Can you access the survey area of interest with a wheeled sensor or will it need to be man carried? Some possible sensors are the Geonics EM31 or EM61-MK2 as EMI sensors, or the Geometrics G-858 or G-856 as magnetometers. There are numerous other manufacturers as well.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried either. I have used a ground resistivity meter which I would not trust except for caves or cavities. Yes this area is accessible without carrying the equipment. Thanks.

jwatkins

Greenie
Feb 17, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
We deploy multiple electromagnetic instruments that include EM31, EM38, EM61...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get the help you were looking for franklin? Are you looking for people with this type of equipment?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Any large coil (1 meter by 1 meter coil) PI detector will go 10 feet with no problem on large iron. I have one and it will air test an aluminum beer can at 8 feet so in fresh or salt water or in the ground it will go deeper. A steel bucket it can go 15 feet in the air. A car almost 50 feet through the air.

RockHopper2

Nov 22, 2009
Fletcher, OK
Hello folks, Need to jump in and ask a question while someone is on the subject of my interest. Does anyone in the USA make a sniffer xr71 PCB? Can't get one from Bulgaria. Thanks Rocky

geom01

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2017
Detector(s) used
GD-10 Electrical Resistivity Imaging
Induced Polarization
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about using Induced Polarization method in mining? We use an equipment for this application to determine what lies beneath the subsurface.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions