Can a Magnetometer be used for gold detection?

Christain

May 31, 2016
Toronto
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
When I visited my friend's home, I came across a magnetometer. His brother used it and left it there. He is abroad at the moment. While reading about it, I figured it can be used for finding gold, not pure gold, but gold minerals. The instrument is an overhauser magnetometer from gemsys. I know it's used for archaeological findings and mineral detection. But how well can I find out small chunks of gold with it?

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Magnetometers are used in mapping areas and locating anomalies or lineaments, like when they hang a magnetometer from a helicopter or a plane. This machine won't help you detect a picker, a metal detector would be more effective for finding gold.

The magnetometer your friend's brother has is different than the aerial ones I mentioned and is for use on more localized areas but it still won't detect gold pickers. It's a fairly complicated and expensive machine that requires training to operate and interpret the data. I'm guessing it might be his but it also might belong to a company he works for and either way given its value I think you should ask permission before trying to use it as I'm pretty sure they are more than 10k and the price of gold isn't that high:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Christain

May 31, 2016
Toronto
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it looks pricey. So, I won't be touching it till we ask his brother. But I'm curious if I use that will I find any dinosaur fossil, or some old ruins. I need to learn how this instrument works. I'm so curious.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
20 years ago I came across a similar question and got ahold of the manufactor of a mag. there are several types of these devices and I asked the same question about its ability to get me into a area. His reply to me is that it wont find gold BUT it would find black sand deposits and you could go from there. he even sent me a hand drawn circuit of his device BUT there were 2 electrical parts that were blocked in and were pripriatory (sp?)to his design. he did how ever give his part number for those parts. Im assumeing that these parts were chips of his design.

Barton

Apr 21, 2005
Abiquiu, NM
Detector(s) used
What ever is needed for the project I am working on--I am a cache hunter
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A magnetometer--
Can be used to locate black sands in a stream bed / river bed--and placer gold is often associated with the black sands
It can be used to locate the iron cannons often associated with a ship wreck
In a skilled operators hands it can be used to locate the iron bar / iron tools in old Spanish mines and tunnels.
In very skilled operators hands it can be used to detect land mines

Barton

tabu

Oct 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A magnetometer--
Can be used to locate black sands in a stream bed / river bed--and placer gold is often associated with the black sands
It can be used to locate the iron cannons often associated with a ship wreck
In a skilled operators hands it can be used to locate the iron bar / iron tools in old Spanish mines and tunnels.
In very skilled operators hands it can be used to detect land mines

Barton

In fact it is one of the most handy companion to any treasure detector in the all metal mode-- like sniffing out precious stones and of course, bullion bars sealed and buried in iron boxes or drums or even in glass jars with ferrous metal caps. I'm referring to the "walking stick" version in the previous post.

Last edited:

rtp_guy

Jan 22, 2014
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Minelab CTX 3030
Fischer B 2
Garrett AT Gold
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's MX5
Titan 9000
Falcon MD20
Garrett AT PP
Minelab Pro-Find 35
White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In fact it is one of the most handy companion to any treasure detector in the all metal mode-- like sniffing out precious stones and of course, bullion bars sealed and buried in iron boxes or drums or even in glass jars with ferrous metal caps. I'm referring to the "walking stick" version in the previous post.

What is the "walking stick" verision?

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a convention not too long ago, guy is working on something called "The Tricorder Project" basically working to make an electronic multi-tool based on Star-Trek, he's got a web-site and based on one on one conversation and demo, this thing is legit and will change a lot in the science based world. Think Micro-Gravity meets GC mass spec, meets air quality, etc..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions