General advice on ground strata mapping/scanning equipment on the cheap?

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been wondering if there is a quick and dirty way of doing sub surface scans that might detect fissures and gravel layers on bedrock. River gravels under alluvium. That sort of thing. Not sure if it can be done cheaply or what the best methods are. I mean is it as simple as a laptop connected to a sound board with some sensors? Just some mics and a pulse generator? Kinetic or electronic? It seams like in this day and age computing power is not really a problem. So how to generate a suitable signal for sub terrain mapping. That's the only issue right?

My brother is a programmer and I have no problem with technology. I'm just kind of wondering what direction i should go with it.

Parameters are kind of multiple things. One would be river channel and old river channel mapping for low spots. These could be buried river channels of significant depths. Another situation I would like to address detection of is buried gravels on high benches. Detecting gravels vs land slide cobbles (Qal). The 3rd situation is chunks of metal sitting on bedrock covered by a foot or 3 of pumice and dirt. They are a bit too deep for a standard metal detector and I would like to be able to search perhaps a 50' diameter circle in one setting. Like detecting small pockets of high conductivity.
It's just radio frequency right? It can't be that hard to build an emitter and receiver set up?

I guess I'm asking has this stuff already been done and can I replicate it cheaply?

So there yah have it. Fire away.

OP
OP
Ragnor

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda like a computer program that tells you were the gold is? Sure would be easier than all this pesky digging! Hehe

Chinese are using fractal algarthyms to find gold now, I was just reading about that a coupe days ago.

katie23

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing about these kind of equipment they are cheap but cannot detect to more than a thousand feet. Gold ores, Silver or even oil can be detected deeply. If treasure hunters are looking for more treasure, they can consider using electrical resistivity imaging instead.

gmradar

Mar 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cheap and reliable is hard to get; there are many methods like IP/Resistivity, Magnetics and even GPR. Problem is that you will need experience to understand what data shows you and this will cost you big bucks.

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
Inexpensive Geophysical Equipment you can build

Here,try this:https://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?paperID=8137

Go for the Refraction Seismograph as Resistivity varies depending on soil moisture. Having said that the two can be used together as verification. Once in awhile you can find resistivity meters and seismographs on ebay for a song. I bought a Bison 12 channel seismograph with geophones and cables all for $1200 and my resistivity meter for $60. If you're gold prospecting the first piece of equipment in your arsenal should be a Proton Gradiometer which you can build yourself. Me, I'm lazy so I found a Geometrics Proton Mag. for cheap on ebay. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Inexpensive Geophysical Instruments.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 157

selvak

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ragnor, can u tel how they are using fractal algorithms.... ??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread