Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ground Penetrating Radar

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2003
    Northern Hemisphere
    117 times
    Cache Hunting

Re: Ground Penetrating Radar - the facts.

Wow - don't know how I missed this thread!!!!? I can't believe some of the crap posted here! (well, maybe I can!)

1. ground penetrating radar works beautifully!? It's great for locating large, buried metallic objects and for discerning changes in the subsurface. (like burials)

2. some planes ARE already equipped with ground penetrating radar - try running a search for "airborne synthetic aperture radar"

3.? there is a LOT of CRAP equipment being sold by dubious "treasure hunting types".? If you want to try GPR, contact a qualified geophysicist!

Here are some links to some REAL GPR manufacturers...

http://www.sensoft.ca/
    http://www.geophysical.com/
    http://www.malags.se/

I have used it, it works, and it works GREAT.

To say that someone should buy a resistivity system instead of gpr is ridiculous!? it depends on the application and the budget.

I happen to have access to GPR rentals, and am an experience operator.? I'd be happy to discuss your GPR needs!? BTW -? I work WITH a geophysicist! (and it is NOT cheap!)

I would add one caveat. GPR does VERY poorly in clay!

Thanks,
    Marc Austin
    webmaster@treasurenet.com

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2003
    Northern Hemisphere
    117 times
    Cache Hunting

Re: Ground Penetrating Radar

Quote Originally Posted by jeff davis
    I don't believe all of this about GPR's I would have to see one demonstrated and see if it can? find a treasure.
    How can you disbelieve in something so strongly if you haven't seen it operated?

1st, treasures aren't everywhere!

2nd, you can BUY a REALLY nice system for under $20K You can get an operator for a couple hundred bucks a day.? You can rent a GPR system for a couple hundred bucks a day. (ask and I'll put you in touch with someone!)

Too many scam artists have given this valuable technology a bad name.?

GPR is a great technology - if it weren't - why would so many degreed geophysicists use them?

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2003
    Northern Hemisphere
    117 times
    Cache Hunting

I can find a treasure if it is miles deep in the ground or miles away.
    Prove it!? If treasures are everywhere,? as you say (God what are you smoking?) show us ONE you have found!

GPR works, and I CAN prove it! (but there is also a lot of crap out there - buyer beware!)

... I guess I'll have to get to work on an online GPR tutorial.

chard

The man that makes the ground penetrating radar for accurate locators will tell you yourself that the machine does not work.

The only GPR I see on their site is the Zond equipment. So I'm not sure what your talking about here.

Unless your talking about their GEMS/USA whatever they are calling it which is obviously not GPR and isn't even stated as being that.
    But it seems kind of strange that if it doesn't work how they are still in business.

Feb 2004
    12 times

Anyone see Battlefield Detectives on the History Channel. It was on the Civil War battle of Antietam.

They had a sweet GPR(or Surface Penetrating Radar). They certainly have come a long way from when I bought mine. It is also a good example of an expert using one and not finding what the machine indicated was there. They were looking for grave trenches.

Although I admit the technology is improving,and I am not giving up on it,it seems to me someone should look long and hard before investing in one of these.

This was not the first time I have seen the GPR fail. I have seen it fail quite a few times. Most of the time it was with experts running it

I think I will wait 5 more years and then buy a new one.

In a few more years I do see this as a very exciting technology.

Ericwt
    I am looking for Pandora's Box. I have got to see what is inside.

Proud to be Rogue.

Expedition Central America: T minus 2 months and counting!

This time with Satellite Internet connection!

chard

They are still in business because there is a sucker born every minute. If there is anyone that hunts for treasure and obviously there are a lot of treasure hunters, when they are searching for the large hunt and need something to search deep into the ground, instantly they become a sucker for these scam machines. The people that buy them chalk it up to experience and the scam artist count their millions in their bank accounts. They should be sued and put out of business permanantly!
    ok, so besides calling all of us treasure hunters suckers. What GPR are you talking about from Accurate Locators? I'm looking for real information here since I'm actually looking at spending some cash on equipment and just venting to vent doesn't do me any good.

Mar 2005
    Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
    49 times

yeah eric that documentary was pretty cool. it really put into perspective why the confederates took so many casualties at bloody lane despite being so heavily entrenched. that ground penatrating radar was way cool. saw a couple of guys on there finding bullets with fishers too. i would love to be able to hunt a spot like that. i wonder how you can get involved in archealogical digs like that?
    GTI 2500/ACE 250

Feb 2004
    12 times

hollowpointred: I am not sure how you get involved in digs like that. In the meantime I will stick to retreat routes and small skirmishes.

But the show did convince me that GPR is vastly improved from my late 1980s GPR .It made me realize I did not give GPR the proper credit. In all fairness I Know of 2 treasure recoveries that were a result of GPR (others,not mine).

I just don't think it is the most practical tool for the average treasure hunter.

Ericwt
    I am looking for Pandora's Box. I have got to see what is inside.

Proud to be Rogue.

Expedition Central America: T minus 2 months and counting!

This time with Satellite Internet connection!

Oct 2004

Hi Jeff:

I would be interested in getting more information regarding the electronics
    you are using for your searches.

Thanks. I tried to PM you but got no reply.

Dinkydick

Dowsing/LRL Opponent

Jul 2003
    The United States of Texas
    2 times

Thanks Deacon,

I found a 1622 piece of eight, a 1920 Mercury Dime, a 1964 Roosevelt Dime, yesterday; while trying my equipment out in a man's barber shop. They were skeptical and didn't believe it would work. I went out in the car and got it out of the trunk. The same barber eleven years ago, I found a silver bracelet he had lost when a boy. It was in two halves and about fifteen feet apart. I won him and his customers over, seeing the machine find his only silver. The mercury and Roosevelt time where in his desk drawer along with a stack of nickles. The Cobb Coin Company 1622 piece of eight was hidden behind junk on a window sill. He said he paid $500. for it when Mel Fisher was selling them. I wonder what Mel Fisher would have thought about me finding his piece of eight, twenty years later. The barber told me his father in law hid about $40,000 in gold coins near his property and his nephew signed a contract for me to find it. They say all of their family and their kin have looked for it since 1937. After, my demonstration being positive they signed an open end contract giving me one half when I find it. I have also put my hat in the ring to accept Carl Moreland's $25,000. challenge. I only hope I can be just as successful on his test. I would rather find the barber's gold it seems easier to find than the test. I guess I will find out today or tomorrow.
    So how did the barber's hunt go for you Jeff? Did you find the cache?
    Remember, the kid you leave home today
    will be voting tomorrow. Take a kid detecting!!

us
    The Watcher

Apr 2004
    Northern Nevada
    Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
    1062 times

Thought I was on a dowsing-lrl forum for a while.You need to research something before you purchase. You need to understand how it works and most of all you need to understand what it is telling you. No instrument will preform if your not good at running it.

Cost means nothing. If you find gold with a $5 set of dowsing rods or a $50,000 dollar whatever you still found it. Remember there are many things out there that work for some and not others.

Keep an open mind and a tight grip on your wallet....Art

Oct 2004

Jeff:

Would you be willing to share the electronic makeup of your cheap LRL?

Dinkydick

joe

Jun 2004
    1 times

I don't think they want us to give out brand names on this forum, especially LRL's. If you had read the dowsing forum before it was made for members only, you should have seen the brand. It was a popular model, but many say it never worked and there are those that say none of the LRL's work. I hope to prove them wrong as soon as I can make a large recovery of the treasures it has already found for me.
    I hope you could post me on how could i made the LRL?( to find treasure on a big area and
    pinpoint it with my P.I). 8)

joe

Oct 2004

Hi Jeff:

I wasn't referring to the LRL but to the statement you made in Reply #33.
    My interests were in the additions you made to your purchased LRL not in the LRL itself.

Moderator: Would this be considered as advertisement of LRL's? If it is, I will withdraw my
    inquiry.

Dinkydick

Dowsing/LRL Opponent

Jul 2003
    The United States of Texas
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkydick
    Moderator: Would this be considered as advertisement of LRL's? If it is, I will withdraw my
    inquiry.

Dinkydick
    Dinky... I'm sure if they thought it was out of line, you wouldn't have time to withdraw your post. Jeff is the fastest draw in the west when it comes to deleting inappropriate posts... LOL

Just ribbing ya Jeff...
    Remember, the kid you leave home today
    will be voting tomorrow. Take a kid detecting!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links