Anyone selling a cheap Ground Penetrating Radar?

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What PI do you have? Should be able to set the delay out to 50-100us and the ground vanishes.

AIORIA

Apr 1, 2009
What PI do you have? Should be able to set the delay out to 50-100us and the ground vanishes.

Hello guys. Carl-NC, I've read some of your old posts and I can see you know a lot about different types of metal detectors and a variety of technology to use for treasure hunting.

What 3 technologies (i.e pulse induction, GPR, resistivity, etc.) would you recommend the most for looking for gold and silver treasures buried between 4 ft to 15 ft deep?

Also what detector brands and models would you recommend for this application?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

OP
OP
Hoss KGC

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA
I need a GPR at a good price. Anyone know where I can buy one cheap? Need to pinpoint a cache of gold and silver bars at 5feet deep in the desert. The ground is so mineralized my large coil pulse induction detector is useless. There is no iron associated with it so magnetometer is out. Need a GPR.
Thanks
Boattow

Hi Carl,
I hate to say I designed the detector, because it's mostly a combination of different designs. The timing comes from your hammerhead with a bit of a modification. I did design it to run at 24 volts as it uses a 24volt Nimh battery. It will detect a 1 gallon paint can at 10 to 11 feet on an air test with the large coil in East Texas and Arkansas where I have tested it. This is with a pulse delay of 30us. In the desert I tried backing off the pulse delay but the best I could get on a test with the ground there was 3 feet. I'm certainly open to any suggestions.
Thanks again.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you test it on what you intend to find. A paint can is fairly thin steel and may have a moderately short TC compared to a bar of silver. Try to find a big hunk of aluminum that's about the size of the expected bars.

The other thing you can do is add a ground channel a la TDI and subtract off any viscous ground effects. Normally this works best when hunting short TC targets and tends to reduce depth on long TC targets, but it might be possible to spread the gap between the samples to improve this. I've never really thought about it but I ought to. Been wanting to market a good large-coil PI for quite some time.

If you go the GPR route, I'm sure you're aware that those things take a lot of experience to run. Probably you only want to rent one, and also rent the guy who knows how to run it.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello guys. Carl-NC, I've read some of your old posts and I can see you know a lot about different types of metal detectors and a variety of technology to use for treasure hunting.

What 3 technologies (i.e pulse induction, GPR, resistivity, etc.) would you recommend the most for looking for gold and silver treasures buried between 4 ft to 15 ft deep?

Also what detector brands and models would you recommend for this application?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

It's all situation-specific. But generally, I try to use PI whenever I can because it's cheap, versatile, and easy. GPR... like I told Hoss, you better have someone who knows how to drive the durn thing. Resistivity is a pain because you have to tediously datalog and map the area. Don't believe those ads where the resistivity device has a meter that reads "gold". That's just BS.

But the first question I would ask is, who would bury a treasure 15 feet deep?

AIORIA

Apr 1, 2009
It's all situation-specific. But generally, I try to use PI whenever I can because it's cheap, versatile, and easy. GPR... like I told Hoss, you better have someone who knows how to drive the durn thing. Resistivity is a pain because you have to tediously datalog and map the area. Don't believe those ads where the resistivity device has a meter that reads "gold". That's just BS.

But the first question I would ask is, who would bury a treasure 15 feet deep?

Thanks for the reply Carl-NC. I also like PI and have tried a few of them like the lorenz deepmax x3, I tried a delta pulse (homebrew), and a pulse star 2 pro.

I saw videos of a PI from Greece that outperformed the Lorenz and a lot of other PI's and vlf machines. It runs on 24V and is called MproS1. I tried contacting them for months, (I don't think they speak english) then using google translate I was able to communicate with them and received a response. They told me they are currently not available to ship to USA because they need certain permits or licenses etc, and that they were working to see if they would be able to send to USA in the future.

I am trying to get the deepest and most powerful PI to look for treasures at depth. I don't know if the Spanish hid their treasures that deep but I did hear that if it was a large enough treasure, it had to buried a minimum of 30 ft. Smaller treasures I was told vary in depth because they had to dig to the bedrock, so whatever the depth to the bedrock was in each specific location, was how deep the treasure would be buried. The treasure will always be in bedrock. Some places bedrock is shallow, few feet, some places 8 ft, etc.

So to look for the shallower one I think the deepest seeking PI might be able to pick it up. What PI do you believe is the best? Do you have a specific brand model or maybe a home brew PI that you'd recommend?

OP
OP
Hoss KGC

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA
Thanks for the reply Carl-NC. I also like PI and have tried a few of them like the lorenz deepmax x3, I tried a delta pulse (homebrew), and a pulse star 2 pro.

AIORIA,
Not sure why you hijacked my thread on GPR and turned it into Pulse induction???
Hoss

OP
OP
Hoss KGC

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA
If you go the GPR route, I'm sure you're aware that those things take a lot of experience to run. Probably you only want to rent one, and also rent the guy who knows how to run it.

I appreciate your advice and I'll give the PI another try with your suggestions. I only designed the pulse delay control from 30us to 90us. I think I'll extend it out further and see if I can get success.

As for GPR, I'm not willing to bring anyone out to this site. My understanding is GPR sees 'contrast'. This is dry desert soil against a large cache of metal at 5ft. I wouldn't think that would take a lot of training to see.

Thanks again!

AIORIA

Apr 1, 2009
AIORIA,
Not sure why you hijacked my thread on GPR and turned it into Pulse induction???
Hoss

Hoss, I apologize if it came across that way, wasn't my intention. Was just trying to get some info from Carl-NC. I will PM him privately with my questions so as to not interrupt your original question.

gmradar

Mar 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Have (deleted by mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AIORIA,
Hoss

FYI, he did not hijack thread, you and carl are discussing PIs too.

(Just FYI, since Hoss is not a Charter Member only charter members can reply with an offer to sell.)

Last edited:

gmradar

Mar 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate your advice and I'll give the PI another try with your suggestions. I only designed the pulse delay control from 30us to 90us. I think I'll extend it out further and see if I can get success.

As for GPR, I'm not willing to bring anyone out to this site. My understanding is GPR sees 'contrast'. This is dry desert soil against a large cache of metal at 5ft. I wouldn't think that would take a lot of training to see.

Thanks again!

The GPR sees difference in dielectric constant between the host material and the object buried. The difference has to be at least one in order for the object to be detected. The bigger the difference the best results you get.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread