What is the Quickest most dependable way to cover a Large area down to 3 Deep?

les

Jan 24, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Tr 66 Goldmaster,,Whites Tr Coinmaster 4,,Fisher 220x,,, WHITES 6000 DI SERIES 3,,WHITES 6000 DI series 2,,,Whites 6000d,,,whites Sl PRO,,, Whites XLT,, Whites dfx,, Quickdraw2,coinmaster 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the Quickest most dependable way to cover a Large area down to 3' Deep?

Hi Guys: Can anyone tell me which instrument I should use to Cover a Large area Quickly Down to three foot Deep, this is In the Area of Southern Illinois?
The Object im trying to Find is a Oblong Copper Wash Kettle,that Was buried years ago, The Top of the Kettle Was 20" Deep when buried, This is What my Grandfather Told me,,So,, Im figuring it settled some, There is a Full Saddlebag Of Gold coins in the very Bottom of this Kettle,It also has a Bunch Of Silver Coins inside,Grandpaws Coin Collection should I say,,,Gold & Silver alltogether around 68,000.00 ,In 1910, I don't have a Clue on weight,but, it Should Create a rather large Oblong Mass underground,,
What Should I use to search for this Quickly & Quietly. Could use some Ideas, I have a Old 1987 I think,Whites 6000di series 3 with a 15" Coil, I was told this Detector would reach it, I know this Detector very well,, but swinging this Detector with the Large Coil wears me out quick,,Do any of you Have a No BS serious Instrument that will find this,If So, Can you explain how it works?
Les

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What is the Quickest most dependable way to cover a Large area down to 3' De

You invite me to help you look for it!

Seriously, I have a 3-pound silver cache buried 24-inches deep in mild soil. No detector I've yet tried can detect it, not even my White's 6000Di/3 with a 25-inch Magnum coil. The closest I've seen is the Teknetics T2... it will hit the same cache in air tests at 22". Another possibility is a Minelab SD with an 18" coil.

The copper wash kettle gives you a much nicer target than just coins, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

- Carl

OP
OP
L

les

Jan 24, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Tr 66 Goldmaster,,Whites Tr Coinmaster 4,,Fisher 220x,,, WHITES 6000 DI SERIES 3,,WHITES 6000 DI series 2,,,Whites 6000d,,,whites Sl PRO,,, Whites XLT,, Whites dfx,, Quickdraw2,coinmaster 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What is the Quickest most dependable way to cover a Large area down to 3' Deep?

Hi Carl : So what your saying ,,is, that maybe ive been right on top of this Cache & not picked it up, This Cache should weigh up pretty heavy, I was told that this Whites 6000di 3 with the 15" Coil would for sure go deep enough on something this size? If I knew I was on top of this & didn't get deep enough to pick it up Id be So Aggervated!!!,this would mean Ive wasted several years maybe,, the last time I was there, I thought for sure I was gonna bring this home finally,,Ive searched very little with a detector so far,
Ive checked & researched this location for years to make for sure I had the right Spot, everything at the site lines up to be right,Not to many places could match this spot either,, ive been very patient in my research,,Im almost Sure Im at the right Spot to find this,,But,, the White's 6000di 3 is all I have for now,,I would hate to have someone travel a Great distance expenses & All,, then possibly go home empty handed, This is the only reason that I haven't asked for help to much,I Would Trust someone to hunt with me,,,if I had you or anyone to come here & we didn't find it,,I would feel really bad after,this is why Ive searched by myself so far,,But,, I do Know what im looking for,,when it was put there,, How Much,,What it was buried in,,where it came from,,Who buried it,, Why,,& The place it is buried at. I have Directions to find it also as Crude as the directions may Be,, this Spot where this is at is kindof a one of a kind spot,, If everything doesn't match up like my grandfathers directions say ,it can't be the right place,He told me this,, I wonder now if ive been right on Top of it?
Les

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Re: What is the Quickest most dependable way to cover a Large area down to 3' Deep?

I think a two-box detector should find it. And you just walk forward with it, no swinging. So it's somewhat less tiring than a regular detector. Garrett, Whites and Fisher M-scope all offer them. Garrett offers an adapter for ther top-line models so you get the choice of using one or two coils.

Chip V.

mr007s

Sep 8, 2007
Where the pavement ends in NC
Re: What is the Quickest most dependable way to cover a Large area down to 3' De

I would go with the 2 box. I recently helped search for a WW2 training bomber engine that was left in a creek in Charlotte in 1945. It was suppose to be around 10-15 feet deep. I bought a Whites 808 just for this. We struck out on the engine but did unearth a small metal milk box from the 1950's. It was 30 inches deep and had been used for a casket for someones beloved pet cat. I have no trouble believing the 2 box would read a pot of coins. The Whites was around 600$, small change for what you may find with it.

No charge for the help, but donations gladly accepted ;D

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

les said:
Hi Carl : So what your saying ,,is, that maybe ive been right on top of this Cache & not picked it up, This Cache should weigh up pretty heavy, I was told that this Whites 6000di 3 with the 15" Coil would for sure go deep enough on something this size?

It really depends on the exact depth and what you are detecting. My 3-lb cache of silver coins is in a plastic container, so I am trying to detect only the coins, which is quite hard because even a whole bunch of coins don't give as good a signal as one large piece of metal. My TM808 won't touch it, nor will my Gemini 3, nor my GTI2500 with a Treasure Hound setup, nor my Garrett BFO with 24" coil, nor my various PI detectors.

In your case, you might have an easier time because of the copper kettle. That is the main target you would detect, not the coins. I strongly suggest you put together a duplicate cache using a similar sized kettle, you can fill it with pennies. Try air tests to see what your 6000/3 will do. Then bury it on site and see if you can still detect it. You should should go no further until you're 100% satisfied you have a sufficient detector.

- Carl

Tim Williams

Dec 24, 2005
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Arc-Geo Logger-TM-808-Garrett XL500-Deepstar

Les I sent you a PM. Let me know if You have any questions.

OP
OP
L

les

Jan 24, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Guys: thanks for the response,,,,
right now I can't hunt for this Cache,,Deer Season is on us ,people are already scouting,,guess I'll have to wait til next spring..I think a two box rig is the way to go in order to make sure I pick the Cache up If I get on top of it. I dug up a 5 gallon bucket one time using the 6000di 3 15" coil,, the bucket was close to two foot deep, my ole ticker was pumping when I hit that metal,, I thought I had found this Cache, then once I dug into a Old Cistern that someone had filled with trash Bottles,metal etc, This was around two foot to the top of it. Some day I need to go back & get those Bottles<G>,sometimes Trash can be treasure also if it is old enough!! Hunting for Caches can be hard work!!!
Les

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA

I'm going to go with Mike(Mont) on this one. A pulse induction with a larger coil is your best bet. 2box detectors get a lot of hype for depth but after I bought a pulse detector, I sold my 2box. It didn't even come close to the performance of the pulse detector.
Good luck,
Boattow

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How big is the site? Assuming that you can narrow it down to a few hundred meters by a few hundred meters, I would rent a Geonics EM61 and do the survey. It should take you a few days to collect the data and cost about $60/per day for rental fees plus $100 for setup. You can rent them from a number of sources. The processing is nothing more than plotting the data that you collected and gridding it.

Northwest Geophysics 720-201-7955
KD Jones 888-396-9291
Geonics 905-670-9580

yanis

Aug 9, 2004

Use a pulse star II with 1 meter coil this is the cheap side,
Or a gradiometer that can cover 2 acres with in an hour, that is the expensive side.
Regards
Yanis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread