Coin migration

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I am a newbie. A couple of weeks ago I found a V nickel a 11" deep. This is my deepest. In regards to a post I was reading earlier that I couldn't find, "How deep a coin can migrate in depth". Well all of this is conjecture untill someone takes the time to measure an emmense amount of variables associated with "coin migration". It all depends on the soil in my view. clay, silty clay, silty sand, sand, loam, silty loam, loess, silty loess etc.... then add deposition materials or glacial till? I have studied the Unified Soil Classification System and I have access to equipment that could put a least a dent in the mystery. Maybe i will do it. I do not think that freezing and thawing would effect "coin migration" greatly. I think if the coin manages to edge itself, or less than paralel with the surface, during a hard rain it could sink quicker than normal in any saturated soil. Water tables an porosity water pressure have a great deal to do with this I suspect. Does anyone else have any ideas?

K

Kentucky Kache

lostlake88 said:
I am a newbie. A couple of weeks ago I found a V nickel a 11' deep. This is my deepest. In regards to a post I was reading earlier that I couldn't find, "How deep a coin can migrate in depth". Well all of this is conjecture untill someone takes the time to measure an emmense amount of variables associated with "coin migration". It all depends on the soil in my view. clay, silty clay, silty sand, sand, loam, silty loam, loess, silty loess etc.... then add deposition materials or glacial till? I have studied the Unified Soil Classification System and I have access to equiptment that could put a least a dent in the mystery. Maybe i will do it. I do not think that freezing and thawing would effect "coin migration" greatly. I think if the coin manages to edge itself, or less than paralell with ethe surface, during a hard rain it could sink quicker than normal in any saturated soil. Water tables an porosity water pressure have a great deal to do with this I suspect. Does anyone else have any ideas?

I don't know about coin migration, but tell me you meant 11" and not 11'.

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
I've haven't given much thought to coin migration...I did see this on a recent hike and I thought it interesting enough to take a pic....it does seem to give some credence to the freezing / thawing theory...

Attachments

• sink.jpg
    sink.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 346

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
From all I've read from various publications, a coin will sink until it hits solid rock or at least
hard packed clay dirt. Most coins I've dug will sink to subsoil level. Most topsoil in my area ranges
between 6'' and 8" deep. Only plowed fields are deeper where they have been plowed 10" to 12"
deep. Yearly vegetation also has to be figured into the equation as grass is mowed and allowed
to lay on top, as is most parks,ballfields, and schools. Gold will sink faster because of the weight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread