EM Equipment THAT WORKS for Cache Hunting...

ureka

Mar 23, 2005
Hey,

I have been continuing my quest to find EM equipment that will work well in Cache Hunting scenarios where the targets are rather confined and not deeper than 3-5 meters.

I have spoken to many experts in the field of Geophysical Engineering and ALL have recommended the Geonics EM 31 (once target is localized) and EM 38 (in the hole) as an application for Cache Hunting.

It's been real tough finding information using "this equipment" for "Cache" applications.

But if it would work so well... why are we all not using it?

Does anyone have any input on this?

OR... Where to find owners manuals for the EM31 or EM38 online?

It been so blasted tough finding info!

Thanks!

UREKA

Black Cloud

May 22, 2006
I recently bought an CM-031, which is a copy of the long standing EM-31. It is made in a Scandanavian country and is more "user friendly" than the EM-31. By this I mean you can view a line graph as you do the survey. Mine is very sensitive to certain metal objects, and I think when I am more familar with it, I will use it to my advantage. The problem is not having a degree in Geophysics and learning as I go. One need to know how to transfer it's data to a suitable software program to read the color imagery. I do not have a program like this, and I am so tight I won't spend the $500 or so dollars. At least until I am convinced it will do the job that I expect it to. It may be asking too much, but I am looking fo 16 - 100 # gold bars and they may be deeply buried, so a mere spot on a line graph, or grid would be it. There is plenty of info out there, but the geophysical community is a family that is not exactly willing to share what info that it took them 6 years to learn, and I can't say that I would be any different. I am hoping to find a retired geo that may take pity on me and help me with a survey or two, intil I can master this thing. But I believe it has the capabilities to find what I want, just careful and educated study of the collected data.

Black Cloud

May 22, 2006
No sense in spending one cent if you don't know if your equipment will live up to the task or not. Have to prove that first, before I start buying color TV. But you may have more money than me. The instrument cost $13,500 itself, and it takes awhile to become proficient with it. Entiende?

Black Cloud

May 22, 2006
Well, I do not care what you think, and I certainly have not the time or inclination to discuss something that is none of your business in the first place.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black Cloud said:
Well, I do not care what you think, and I certainly have not the time or inclination to discuss something that is none of your business in the first place.

I have to agree... the software is another 3.7% of the cost... if it enables you to properly evaluate the device, then it doesn't make sense to not buy it. You might try some other software, but you will likely have to do some data massaging to make it all work... take a look at http://www.homeusers.prestel.co.uk/aspen/sussex/snuffler.html.

- Carl

Black Cloud

May 22, 2006
Hey Carl, thanks for the input. I have today downloaded trial versions of Surfer and Grapher, but I can see they are over my head, so I contacted a rental agency of the same type of instrument and hopefully I can procure his services (training)

P

peg legged

To all the EXPERTS out there how about this little test.
I will place a number of LEAD BARS of the estimated same size an number of gold bars that were dropped into a MUD BOG. These Lead Bars will be placed at different depths with the max. depth of 12 feet.
NOW if your device can locate these lead bars I WILL PURCHASE YOUR DEVICE.
Peg Leg

oldrocker

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2004
Fairbanks Alaska
Just wondering! I am looking for something that will map bedrock in streams at depths of 50 feet. What do I need? I have read most of the threads and find myself more confused than informed so any help to undo this would help me a lot. Thanks for your time. If needed please e-mail me at [email protected] with any info you can provide to keep the peace here. Thanks again, oldrocker

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi black cloud: a suggestion, simply get a Discovery 900 twin box VLF detector for your search, would run about $500 US at -----

www.detection.com/super/sales.html or

www.detection.com/Discovery/DicoveryMD.htl

However 3 - 5 meters is quite a job in itself based entirely upon an instrument's. reading. If the bars are compacted they "might" read just fine. But remember, separate units, even if piled one on top of the other, do not give the same readng as a single solid of the same materiel and.volumn would..

Am being nosey, but why would they be buried at this depth?? This would require a group of people to dig this deep with plenty of time, with special ground conditions?

Tropical Tramp.

Black Cloud

May 22, 2006
Hi Trop - I have owned and now own several 2 - box units. I am familar with their strong suits and shortcomings also. I have many reasons for using the equipment that I do use. I don't remember saying anything about the depth that anything was buried. Where did you come up with the 3-5 meters? I would tend to disagree with you about the bars being in disarray (but touching) and giving a lesser anomaly than "say a perfect cube" down there. The larger the outside deminsions are, the better and larger the anomoly, especially after 100 + years. I appreciate your interest and input. I would love to spend a couple of years down in your country looking for lost whatever. I have a friend(mexican) whose father has 5 ranches around Hermosillo, and I would always be welcome, but just haven't found the time to go. He has gold mines and many stories.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CaptainZossima

I sense that Spanish gold bars were dumped into old mineshafts and then blown shut.

One might need the right tool....
Cpt sossi with a pick, shovel, and 2 liters of Barcardi.

Tropical Tramp

Black Cloud

May 22, 2006
Hey, Trop - Did you ever read the book, "El Lobo and Spanish Gold', (A texas maverick in Mexico) Very facinating, true, and set in your surroundings. (Old Caborca) A friend did some research on the character and found him to still be alive in the 90's, but we lost track from our only connection, the grandson. He (Richard Thompson) married a Yaqui chief's grand-daughter and he showed him where the old covered-up gold mines were, etc. and he got rich, blew it , and on and on. He also bought and sold airplanes to the generals during the revolution. Get a copy of it if you can, you will be amazed, and maybe be familar with some of the stories. If u can't find one, write me and I'll lend u mine.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[Black Cloud =
Hi Trop - I have owned and now own several 2 - box units. I am familar with their strong suits and shortcomings also. I have many reasons for using the equipment that I do use. I don't remember saying anything about the depth that anything was buried. Where did you come up with the 3-5 meters?
You are right, it was another poster in here. oops
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would tend to disagree with you about the bars being in disarray (but touching) and giving a lesser anomaly than "say a perfect cube" down there. The larger the outside deminsions are, the better and larger the anomoly, especially after 100 + years.

hmmmmmm here we do disagree a bit hehe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a friend(mexican) whose father has 5 ranches around Hermosillo, and I would always be welcome, but just haven't found the time to g
o. He has gold mines and many stories.
Where ?? fascinating country, gogogogogo BC.

P.S. If you wish to increase your depth with a twin box VLF a bit, merly extend the receiveing antenae - front one - a foot or two. more from the box with a simple tube adapter on the Discovery for example.

Tropical Tramp

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[=Black Cloud
Hey, Trop - Did you ever read the book, "El Lobo and Spanish Gold', (A texas maverick in Mexico) Very facinating, true, and set in your surroundings. (Old Caborca) A friend did some research on the character and found him to still be alive in the 90's, but we lost track from our only connection, the grandson.
I am not sure but will check. Incidentally, i am much further south .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He (Richard Thompson) married a Yaqui chief's grand-daughter and he showed him where the old covered-up gold mines were, etc. and he got rich, blew it , and on and on.
I spent 5 years with the Yaquis, I know every foot of the Bacatetes and was responsible for recovering --xxx- Hectares of land that he gov't was taking away from them. I was shown 5 Gold & Silver mines that are still closed. but sigh, they cannot be worked since you need the permission of the local governor of the area where mine is located, the permission of the 7 Tribal governors, and the permission of the Federal gov't. If the Tribe says yes, the Federal gov't says no, if they say no, the federal gov't says yes sniffff.

The gave me a bible written In Yaqui, I haven't completely interpreted it yet sigh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
no and vice versa snifff.vaannot beworked.mines of He also bought and sold airplanes to the generals during the revolution. Get a copy of it if you can, you will be amazed, and maybe be familar with some of the stories. If u can't find one, write me and I'll lend u mine.
A deal, Also get the "Hill of the Rooster" by William H Curry, almost the same name as mine ..

Tropical Tramp

Attachments

• .jpgYaqui.jpg
    .jpgYaqui.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,367
  • Crucificion.jpg
    Crucificion.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,363

ColoradoMike

Apr 4, 2004
Colorado
Em machines are best used when you have narrowed it down to a small area. Then grid off a area into 5' sections. It takes a great deal of time & since you can't actually see the target with the unit but have to interepet data many don't like this type of unit. But they are reliable once you learn to use them. We use one that Gary Hewwit from Utah makes. It is a very good EM unit. Gary is a Geologist & can be hire out for $600 a day to employ his Em-83 also if you don't want to spend the $10k to buy it & spend the time learning it.
I recommend the Explorer 4000 from OKM. It cost more but it satisfies the need to see the target that most of us have.
Neither are ideal for what we call fishing for targets. You need to know where it is & then these units can confirm for you & tell you about how deep & the size etc.

Keep in mind the more sophisticated the equipment the longer it takes to learn how to use it. None of this stuff is simple to use.

Good Luck.

dcyoung9

Greenie
Jul 11, 2006
Dallas, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the equipment Accurate Locators sells. The Walkabout and multiple sensor systems they have?
Are these any good? Don

ColoradoMike

Apr 4, 2004
Colorado
dcyoung9 said:
What about the equipment Accurate Locator's sells. The Walkabout and multiple sensor systems they have?
Are these any good? Don

OK this piece of crap server of theirs just deleted everything I spent the last 15 min. typing again. Email me directly at [email protected] with your number & I can fill you in.

Black Cloud

May 22, 2006
Trop - I bought the book and read it. Pretty interesting, but sad. I suppose those people are still enduring the same hardships after all these years.. I have my CM-031 up and flourishing. It even surprised me what it will do. I'll send an attachment of a survey I recently did in an area of where I buried an old 15" wheel many moons ago. Picked right up on it. Even discovered an old water well that was drilled and never cased, just a large rock placed over the hole. My little project across the border is on hold, but maybe someone could use a little help on theirs. And to think I considered selling this instrument at one time.

Attachments

• conductivity only one meter.jpg
    conductivity only one meter.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,156

T or C

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2003
I own and have used two EM devices. A Red Dog FDEM-8 is a frequency domain unit with 8 different frequencies. I then download the data into a program called Surfer... I recommend that software. The other unit I have is a Keene TDEM, a time domain unit with 12,24 & 36 volt power. It too can use Surfer but requires much more input time since the data cannot be downloaded from the unit. This unit is similar to a EM-83 only much newer. Data interpretation with either is a challenge and I too have not found someone to teach me. I think I have the FDEM unit sold and am trying to sell the other. I would be happy to share any knowledge learned. I can be contacted at [email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread