Void detector

nativetexan

Greenie
May 8, 2005
Has anyone suggested ground resistivity measurement to you? There is a company in Austin that manufactures that type equipment. On the left side of their main page there is link to "void and cave detection". The website is http://www.agiusa.com

OP
OP
searcher

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
White's. Old, yellow but still waterproof!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I'll look into it.
Do you have one, or knowledge of its use?

Searcher

nativetexan

Greenie
May 8, 2005
I have have had some involvement with resistivity surveys using an L and R Instruments MiniRes and some software I found on the internet. My field experience has been limited to 2 dimension vertical electrical soundings (2D VES) to profile soil, water bearing sand and clay layers here in the coastal bend. I think it would work well for you if you have space to lay out an array of the 4 probes required.

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two AGI SuperSting R8 systems that I use at work, as well as a Scintrex system and a lot of old ABEM resistivity systems. Resistivity is one of several methods that can be used to find tunnels and voids, but there is no magic bullet. It depends on soil type, moisture, depth of target, size of target. My group looks for drug tunnels on the US/Mexico border and it is very difficult to find tunnels.

OP
OP
searcher

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there is now one best way to find tunnels. That is impossible. Too many variables.
I would love to get my hands on any one of these machines and be taught how to use them.

How far away from Bandera, Texas are y'all?
I would like to watch and learn if anyone is willing.
Turkey is a bit far for me right now though.

99thpercentile, what is the group you work with?
That is a noble undertaking.

Searcher

nativetexan

Greenie
May 8, 2005
It would take someone with more training and experience than I have to locate a void or tunnel in the hill country type terrain. I will have to give it a pass. Sorry.

OP
OP
searcher

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only am I wanting to search the hill country but also where there is sandy/loamy soil.

Sandy/loamy type soil is where the animal tunnels are that need finding.

PM if you would like for more info.

Thanks
Searcher

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work for the US Army Corps of Engineers as a research geophysicist. We have had the tunnel detection mission for over 20 years.

HiiiQ

Nov 6, 2004
a number of times I've had this signal "loss" with my old White's TM600 but never bothered to dig. Mayby I should have?

cali55

Dec 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type of instrument will you say its the best and simpler to operate to locate caves or holes .it looks like its the first option when searching for buries treasures and stuff
thanks

MaxH

Mar 7, 2020
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
EM-83, EM-83D, HEW-200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only am I wanting to search the hill country but also where there is sandy/loamy soil.

Sandy/loamy type soil is where the animal tunnels are that need finding.

PM if you would like for more info.

Thanks
Searcher

If you're still looking around for help in this, let me know. I'm in San Antonio and could use a good cavity test site for some equipment we are building. I sent you a PM with my info

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread