Auraria GA Ghost Town

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
When gold was discovered in North Georgia, many squatters rushed into what is today North Georgia . The discovery of gold in North Georgia was not the first discovery of gold in the United States, but all previous discoveries of gold was on property where there was no question of ownership. People began searching for the precious metal in the streams and hills of the "Cherokee Territory" because there was no clear title to any of the real estate in the area.
In 1832 a squatter named William Dean built a cabin on the ridge and soon a tavern was built by Nathaniel Nuckolls. The name of the place once known as “Deans” became “Nuckollsville.” The town had a rough and rowdy society and an unlawful community that included thieves, gamblers, and murders who were often drunk, malicious and looking for a fight. Today many of the local people refer to the town as "Knucklesville" because of the many stories that have been handed down about how disputes were settled in the town.

"Gold Diggers Road" ran North and South through the town. Gold Diggers Road started at the Chestatee River, or the River of Flickering Lights, and went through Auraria, Dahlonega, Cleveland, Clarkesville and Toccoa and connected to the South Carolina line. Much of the road has been abandoned today. But Hopewell Road, which runs into Gold Diggers Road in Auraria, runs into Highway 19 at Coal Mountain at Fork in the Road Church in Forsyth County. Also Hopewell Road can be entered from Highway 400 at several exits in North Forsyth, Dawson and Lumpkin Counties.

Today, not much is left of the once booming town and county seat, except the Graham Hotel, which is in a sad state of repair, the old tavern, which is today Woody's Store and the old bank building across the road, which is covered with kudzu. The red house that is standing nearby is known as the "Old Emory Brackett homeplace." Only ten months after the first white settler built a cabin in the area, the town had a hundred houses, twenty stores, a newspaper, fifteen law offices and several hotels and taverns. Approximately 25,000 people lived in the area during the gold rush and 10,000 people made their Auraria their home permanently.

With the influx of people came some of the best legal minds in the country because lawyers were needed to establish a chain of title to the property and settle disputes among the settlers. These lawyers included such people as Thomas Jefferson Rusk, George W. Paschal, William Dawson, Stephen D. Crane, William Y. Hansel, Seaborn Jones, Eli S. Shorter, William H. Underwood and others.

The first schools and churches were established when women, such as Agnes “Grandma” Paschal, came to the region. Agnes Paschal, was from Oglethorpe County and the widow of a Revolutionary War soldier, opened a tavern in Auraria that was clean, served excellent food, but not liquor. She established the Baptist Church which is today the Antioch Baptist Church.

John C. Calhoun bought one of the most productive mines in the area. His son-in-law, Thomas G. Clemson, an engineer, operated the mine and used some of the gold to found Clemson University. Calhoun's home, Fort Hill, is on the Clemson University campus. When he was Vice President, Calhoun often came to Nuckollsville to see his mining operation. His friend, a Dr. Croft accompanied Calhoun on a trip in 1832 and suggested the name “Aureola” as the town and “Aldoraddo” for the county, which had not been surveyed. The state legislature chose to name the county in honor of Governor Lumpkin and Maj. John Powell, a resident of the town, named it Auraria, which in Latin meant “gold mine” or “gold region.”

The Western Herald was the first periodical in Auraria and publication began on April 8, 1833.

Auraria became the county seat of Lumpkin County. In May of 1833, after the land lottery was completed, the site where the courthouse was to be built had no clear title because of a fraudulent drawing. The whole townsite belonged to a family of orphans. The county seat was then transferred to Dahlonega, from the Cherokee word, Tau-Lon-ne-ga, meaning “golden.”

In September of 1833, a post office was established in Auraria.

With the success of his mine in the area and the problems of sending gold to Philadelphia for coinage, Calhoun used his influence to have a mint established in the gold region. With the help of Thomas Hart Benton, the U.S. Senator from Missouri known as “Old Bullion,” Congress agreed to support the mint, but because of the title problems, the mint was also established in Dahlonega. The mint was completed in 1837 and began operation in 1838. It closed with the outbreak of the War Between the States. The mint later burned and the Administration Building at North Georgia College & State University was built on the old foundation of the mint.

With the courthouse and mint in Dahlonega, the town of Auraria and the Western Herald were doomed. When the gold that was easy to mine was gone, many of the miners left for California with the ‘49ers. Georgians James Marshall and Polly Himmel and her husband, who worked at the sawmill for James Sutter, were prominent in the discovery of Gold in California.

In the Colorado gold rush of '59, Georgians from Auraria started the "Pike's Peak or Bust" trip westward. The Russell brothers and James Gregory, who had mined in Auraria and California, were successful miners in Colorado, where their names are in the history of the state, especially the history of Aurora and Denver.

Traveling north on Highway 400, we notice a road sign that reads “Burnt Stand Road.” In the days of the gold rush, the road was lined with houses. With no jobs and people moving away, the women who remained met at the Baptist Church one evening to plan how to establish jobs in manufacturing or services and improve the quality of life. The men wanted to move West. While the church meeting was taking place, the men loaded the wagons with the furniture and burned the houses to the ground. Legend says the women saw the smoke rising when they left the church. Burnt Stand Road was named for that incident.

With no jobs and no gold, Auraria became America's first ghost town. Even today only about 350 people live in the unincorporated community. People who mined gold in Georgia played an important role in almost every gold rush in America after 1828. The Dawson mines in Alaska and the towns named Auraria, or towns with a similar name, were named for this area of Georgia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The article above states that "Georgians James Marshall and Polly Himmel and her husband, who worked at the sawmill for James Sutter, were prominent in the discovery of Gold in California." However, according to other sources, including the North Georgia Journal (Winter 1966), the name is Jenny Wimmer, not Polly Himmel. The ones who discovered the nugget at Sutter's Fort were James W. Marshall and Peter L. Wimmer. The nugget was taken to Peter's wife Elizabeth Jane Cloud Biaz Wimmer, who boiled it down and confirmed that it was gold. Elizabeth (Jenny) was the daughter of Martin and Polly Cloud of Lumpkin County, Georgia. She married first to Obadiah Biaz, then second to Peter L. Wimmer in Missouri.
//////////////////////////////////////

A few farmers live near the area directions: to get there from atlanta take ga 400 north until it becomes a divided highway called 400 or s.R.19 you'll when you get into lumpkin county, you'll come to the first intersection where the is old auraria road. Don't turn here! go up to the next intersect were burnt stand road is turn left onto burnt stand and you'll head north untill it merges with old auraria road. Continue north for 3-5 miles and you'll come to a three way intersection of castleberry bridge and old auraria road where you'll see a historical marker, few abandoned stores and homes and that is auraria

Attachments

• AurariaGrahamHotel.jpg
    AurariaGrahamHotel.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,654
  • AurariaOldStore.jpg
    AurariaOldStore.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 3,621
  • GrahamHotelAuraria.jpg
    GrahamHotelAuraria.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 3,516
  • AurariaBankChimney.jpg
    AurariaBankChimney.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 3,230
  • Auraria1932.jpg
    Auraria1932.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 3,196

Hiker

Nov 30, 2008
Newnan, GA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for posting this info. Is the site open to the public? If it is I am sure it has been pounded by other detectorist, but still worth a trip north to see it.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Well, most of the gold you will find in Georgia is fairly fine stuff, so it quickly becomes discouraging hunting for nuggets with a detector. You really need to use other techniques (pan, highbanker, or dredge) to be successful. The "site" covers a fairly broad area. Most of the land in the immediate vicinity of where the pictures were taken is private property. The little community center (if you could call it that) is adjacent to the area of the pictures and is where WEGM has their monthly meetings. You really need to get down close to the river (Etowah) or a stream bed to be productive with gold. Our leased club land borders on the river. Members can metal detect all they want on this property, but are more likely to find old mining artifacts than pockets full of gold nuggets. You can tell this is where the miners of old worked because there are signs of holes being dug all over the landscape. Shows you what gold fever will do. There are also interesting Indian signs (carvings, trail trees) and markers if you know what you are looking at. The Indians were numerous in this area until driven out on the Trail of Tears.

Stan

Hiker

Nov 30, 2008
Newnan, GA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Divewrecks.

I was thinking more about relic hunting at the site, thanks for the info.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Hiker said:
Divewrecks.

I was thinking more about relic hunting at the site, thanks for the info.

That's pretty much the reason I joined. I have not really worked hard at trying to find gold.

Stan

bw1

Greenie
Sep 20, 2008
I live down the road about 2 miles from this place and the grandson of the little old lady that owns the property told me that they spent about 45 minutes detecting around the area and found a buried jar with $40,000 worth of Dahlonega mint gold coins.

Jaw Jah Danny

May 2, 2009
Thomasville, GA
Detector(s) used
MXT ,Tesoro Compadre ,Tesoro Tiger Shark, DFX
Great post Gypsy :thumbsup:. I never got around to acutaly finding that place, gave a small effort looking when I was 18. Been a long time since I was up there. Love the GA montains.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Jaw Jah Danny said:
Great post Gypsy :thumbsup:. I never got around to acutaly finding that place, gave a small effort looking when I was 18. Been a long time since I was up there. Love the GA montains.

Type "Auraria, GA" in Google maps and it will come right up. You will see there is hardly anything left of what was once a thriving boom-town.

Stan

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
TAKODA said:
The largest nugget of gold I have found to date came from the Auraria area.

Well, something to scale it to or a weight measurement would be nice.....

digrdug

Jun 4, 2008
Dawsonville,GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1270
Nice find takoda!! The hand that is pointing to more gold.There are some nice nuggets in the etowah river below auraria. As a weekend gold miner that dredges in the river, l have found some nice ones and they all have names of some sort. There also is a lot of relics to be found in the river, and the surrounding hills and bottoms. My best find, is the friends that i have made being a member of the weekend gold miners club and the ability to enjoy my hobby in freedom.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
TAKODA said:
DiveWrecks said:
TAKODA said:
The largest nugget of gold I have found to date came from the Auraria area.

Well, something to scale it to or a weight measurement would be nice.....

Look at the picture to the left under charter member.

For quickest page load I have my TNet preferences set to not show people's avatars. Thanks for the weight clarification. Nice nugget.

Stan

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
digrdug said:
My best find, is the friends that i have made being a member of the weekend gold miners club and the ability to enjoy my hobby in freedom.

I agree. I'm happy to just relic hunt and enjoy time on our lease properties and occasionally help someone that has highbanker or dredge.

Stan

riverguy

May 23, 2009
I prospected for gold in this area 18 years ago when there was more land where you could access the gold bearing areas. We were lucky we had permission on a 40 acre tract that had two nice streams and three old gold mines. Never went into the mines since they were in the dirt/rock as opposed to hard rock mines. One was steep, only about 2 feet wide and 4 feet high and actually went down at a 60% angle. Kind of dangerous. The other one was the same dimensions but went directly back into a hill. Also dangerous. Further up on the adjacent land was one with actual narrow gauge rail tracks for bringing out the tailings and or. Also I came across quite a few that were vertical shafts overgrown by brush and you could easily come upon it and fall in.

Never had much luck finding nuggets, only fine gold in the stream. I used my fisher gold bug to locate buckshot accumulations and this almost always produced fine gold trapped along with the buckshot.

Had tons of fun with my two sons then 7 and 16 for two years. They both learned a lot about being in the woods since I live in North Atlanta with few real woods left.

Found sevral axe heads from the 1800's with the gold bug. Met a real gold prospector who did it full time and his father and grandfather grewup in the mines in that area. Plus a retired GA state geologists who wrote a book on GA gold. Learn a lot from them. This was before the Internet forums of sharing information.

I am now in to coin hunting and learning about that. Selling my gold bug and just bought a fisher ID Edge and am enjoying that. As you know, the gold bug was all metal and super sensitive. Too bad this area does not have enough nuggets. I always detected to and from going in hopes of finding a miner's cache, but no luck. Ones I thought I had something, but i was a old shovel about 4 feet buried in the tailings. Along the streams in this area the banks are littered with rocks thown out of the stream bed by the early miners and these were all grown over.

The geologist told me a story of a canadian miner who came to the area one week on the Etowah river and found a pot hole and sucked out enough gold that covered a full sized bed. He actually saw it with his own eyes. The canadian left after that great week. This was about 20 years ago, so there probably still other pot holes for those willing to get in the Etowah. Or maybe it was the Chestatee river. I seem to remember the Etawah has a much stronger current flow, and is narrow compared to the slower flowing and wider Chestatee river.

I think the club on the leased land is probably the only way to go today, or else get shot. It was great fun and I recommend it to anyone who needs to get away from the daily grind of earning a living. We went about 2 weekends each month in the warm months and about once each month in the winter. Nothing like getting your hands in freezing water even with long rubber gloves. No snakes in the winter, but in the spring and summer, lots of them. But my younger son made such a racket stomping about, he scared them away. We always found a little gold with the emphasis on "little".

John

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
John, thanks for posting your experiences. I enjoyed reading them. I need to get caught up on my dues so I can get a new property key. Your post has given me a little renewed vigor.... :icon_thumleft:

Stan

SonnyRay

May 30, 2009
Can I get some information before I take a trip up there? Is there a GPAA claim or claims in the area? Are there any RV sites or camping areas in the area? I lived in Georgia for awhile. I thought I was told that you could work the rivers as long as no one party owned the land on both sides where you wished to prospect. Is that correct. Thinking about getting shot, or having to shoot back to defend myself just makes my willy shrink. I prefer non-hostile prospecting and metal detecting/treasure hunting...

PS: If I can make the trip later this Summer or Fall, is there anybody who'd like to work the area together? Let me know.

SonnyRay

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
There are no public places to work in Auraria proper. Of course there is no town anymore in Auraria. If you do a Google map search for Auraria you will get a general idea. Most landowners in the area will run you off for trespassing and yes, maybe with a little buckshot. We have to be sure to stay within the confines of the property we (Weekend Gold Miners - WEGM) lease. If you become a member of this group you can camp there on property for I think up to two weeks at a time. If you are only going to come once or twice a year you may find the dues aren't justifiable. PM me for more info.

Stan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread