Georgia Native American Gold

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if anyone knows of possible locations of hidden Cherokee gold?
When the Cherokee were removed(forcibly) from the north Georgia Mountains, I'm sure that they knew they couldn't take a lot with them, so they probably cached a lot away in some of the caves in the mountains in say, Lumpkin County, intending to return later and reclaim their goods. However, many died on the way to Oklahoma, known as The Trail Of Tears. And even fewer ever made it back to Georgia.
I've looked in a couple small caves with my metal detector but have come up empty.
I found the two caves while camping and hiking this summer and am always on the lookout for possible sites.
Any ideas, help or offers to join up and go look for some sites would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Scott

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Good train of thought. Time, research and field search may pay off here. :thumbsup:

digrdug

Jun 4, 2008
Dawsonville,GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1270
There is a book that is called "Cry of the eagle" written by Forrest Wade. Look for it in the library,this book has some interesting stories about the hidden cherokee gold that your asking about.

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
AU24K said:
I was wondering if anyone knows of possible locations of hidden Cherokee gold?
When the Cherokee were removed(forcibly) from the north Georgia Mountains, I'm sure that they knew they couldn't take a lot with them, so they probably cached a lot away in some of the caves in the mountains in say, Lumpkin County, intending to return later and reclaim their goods. However, many died on the way to Oklahoma, known as The Trail Of Tears. And even fewer ever made it back to Georgia.
I've looked in a couple small caves with my metal detector but have come up empty.
I found the two caves while camping and hiking this summer and am always on the lookout for possible sites.
Any ideas, help or offers to join up and go look for some sites would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Scott
Hi Scott!!! No, not so odd that you posted this in conjunction with my other post about this. Nice job, and good for you! The sum total of what they hid before being forcibly marched afoot to their new concentration-camp in Oklahoma is well recorded by University Of Oklahoma Press : http://www.oupress.com/documents/americanindianvol6.pdf and should get you started. But, in my opinion this is a white-washed listing, and they produced some great historically accurate books for many decades, now out of print. They Cherokkee payed a very high price to get the last laugh, though, because most of their gold mines have never been found after they left. Your geographical area search should be centered around Dahlanega, Georgia which once had a USMint, but shut down because when they left, so did the flow of gold into that mint. There are clay jars of gold-nuggets buried by them all over the Chattahootchee National Forest for instance.They made "waybills", so their descendents could retrace their steps and return to retrieve what was hidden.There are may, many local legends in all those small towns around Dahlanega attesting to this fact of them returning to try finding what was hidden following these waybills.A good trusted dowser is imperative, even mandatory in finding these.It has been done successfully many times with little to no actual research "hard evidence" type info using this methodology.Years ago, I was told by one of their pipe-carriers that I was explicitly forbidden from retrieving ANY of this gold, with a solemn/stern warning. I've honored that to this day. But, as a side-bar, their deceased chiefs know who I am, and I have gotten permission from them on a case by case basis to make certain retrievals.For the non-believers, this will mean nothing. But, fwiw, Chief Thunder Cloud gave me his blessing and permission years ago, though it was after that stern warning from the pipe-carrier.So, in a way, the pipe-carriers warning was trumped in real life. That said, life is funny. Once I was given the keys to Alli-Babba's treasures(these caches add up to TENS of BILLIONS of dollars in gold), I have not sought them out with any vigor whatsoever. Anyone may PM me regarding this subject.

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods

GOLDHUNTER2009

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2010
Cry of the Eagle

Interesting that you did post this (VERY). I have read the book and still have it at home. It will completely consume you in every way if you are interested in the gold aspect as much as i am. I believe that 90% of the contents of the book are true. I live in SC now but i head back to Gainesville (family) once a month. I am from Gainesville and I will move back there someday (hopefully soon). I did read the book and i hiked and scoured all over the Fort Mountain State Park looking for signs, birch tree markings, etc. I have read the book at least 3x and I feel 100% confident that I could find something if I could just find some symbols or markings whatsoever. It is beyond interesting. I don't think the Cherokee gold/silver mine(s) will ever be found but do believe there is a good amount of caches out there. Fort Mountain and Cohutta Mtn are beyond rugged and I workout 4x a week. I always take a buddy. After going there 3 times and no luck whatsoever i may try and find gold by metal detecting in or around Dahlonega. I went to college in Dahlonega and canoed the Chestateee at least a dozen times. There some definite places to pan and detect without being bothered/caught whichever.

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
There are reportedly at least 36 Cherokee gold banks that have never been recovered. Georgia is lousy with buried gold caches between the Cherokee, KGC and Spanish. However I can tell you from our own personal experience that you must have a good LRL and a two box or a pulse induction unit.

A lot of it is hidden in really hard to get to places and buried at a depth that requires a deepseeking MD. Be prepared to move rocks the size of small boulders and dig up 2-3 layers of large 200 lb rocks to get to a target. Sometimes you will have to break them up with a slege hammer to get them up and out of the hole. The Cherokee did hide pots of gold in caves and behind rocks but they would climb up a barely passable game trail and then hide the gold back in a fissure up on a rock face or steep cliff. I don't think you are going to find anything in easily accessed caves. If it was easy it would all have been dug up by now.

Do some research, get some equipment and concentrate on Lumpkin County and you might get lucky. Look along the river up at the high banks on either side and look for cliffs or some visible sign of an opening or cave high up or a formation of stacked rock that doesn't look quite natural. Then set up your LRL and see if you get a hit.

H

HAVE DETECTOR WILL TRAVEL

Dixiegal has some good advice but you could also try looking for hidden caves by ridge walking during extreme drop in barometric pressure and freezing. Also debris fields or anything in nature you feel may be the slightest bit out of place or unusual. The highest point along any river is always a good start.

Last edited:

Duff

Oct 11, 2015
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
My nose
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am from Gainesville as well and have come across some markings coming out of the lake where the chestateee comes through along with some bent thong trees. One piece of pottery. Looks like someone has followed the same trail I did and probed alot of holes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread