olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm looking for information about and people around the Chattahoochee Valley (Columbus, GA; Ft. Benning, GA; Phenix City, AL) area. There are a quarter million people in this area, but no detecting clubs that I've been able to find. The nearest clubs are more than an hour away in any direction. In terms of information, how many of the popular parks in Columbus (Cooper Creek, Flat Rock, Lake Bottom, etc.) are okay with detectorists? I'm not asking for particular spots. I just want to know if there are some parks that won't kick me out just for being there. I figured I would ask here before I just started going.

OP
OP
O

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there really no one in this area on this forum now?

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might not be anyone checking in here that often. I'm up on the east side of Atlanta and I drop in here time to time but there's never much activity.

As for the local parks I'd say hit them. Worst that usually happens is you get asked to leave. Last weekend a buddy and I drove down to Atlanta, we got kicked out of more sites than we actually got help. The schools had security on the weekends.....

Local parks around home don't seem to be a problem. Just leave the place cleaner than you found it and there usually is no worry.

OP
OP
O

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for responding. I've looked up all the relevant Georgia codes and municipal codes, and, interestingly, not only do they not mention metal detecting specifically, they don't even say "no digging." It makes me think that there might be something from the Department of Parks and Recreation that I should read. I've been thinking of emailing the director about it, but I'm not sure whether I should just ask about park rules or specifically address metal detecting.

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got what most consider the acceptable answer for parks and city property. If they don't specifically forbid it then I'd go have fun and handle it when the time comes. If anything you'll probably just get asked if your finding anything which I find "just pennies and trash" works well ;)

imtheonlylp

Jul 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for responding. I've looked up all the relevant Georgia codes and municipal codes, and, interestingly, not only do they not mention metal detecting specifically, they don't even say "no digging." It makes me think that there might be something from the Department of Parks and Recreation that I should read. I've been thinking of emailing the director about it, but I'm not sure whether I should just ask about park rules or specifically address metal detecting.

browsed this site for a while now, but just joined...i too live in Columbus and have wondered with all our civil war era history has this area been detected thoroughly...i dont have a MD yet, but it is certainly on my next toy list...love the history of the west central ga and east central al area...

717fly

Nov 20, 2013
Middle Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1350 and newly added AT Pro on April 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Macon, GA here!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread