Cherokee County area

GA_DAVID

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2007
Woodstock, Ga
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Discovery 1100, Compass X100 challenger
Greetings all,
Well after 5 years out of the loop I find myself drawn back to the wonderfull world of metal detecting and gold hunting. I'm located in Woodstock and would like to find some local folks to hunt with and share research info on the local area. Best I can tell there still isn't a local club, despite there being plenty of folks for one, so I'll start here. I have an older detector, sold my spectrum, plenty of pans, a sluice box and small dredge. Anyone interested drop me a line and we'll see what can be set up.
David

S

stevew

I just purchased a GTAx 550 today. I have been reading forums looking for clubs in our area, but haven't really found any. I am VERY new to the hobby, as a matter of fact, I haven't ever hunted but I have always wanted to give it a try. I decided I wasn't getting any younger so I'm going to give it a try.
I don't even know where to start hunting around here yet. But we all had to start sometime!

OP
OP
GA_DAVID

GA_DAVID

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2007
Woodstock, Ga
Detector(s) used
For starters what are you interested in hunting for? Gold, Relics, CW stuff? Once you have an idea of what you want to find that will help to determine where to look. We live in a great area it's just a matter of deciding what to look for, doing a bit of research and getting outside and do it. For now read that instruction manual....several times, and practice in your yard...get a feel for your machine and what its capable of. My regular job is a bit hectic right now but I can almost always make some time for a hunt. If interested send me an email or PM with some contact info and we will see about getting together and finding some good stuff.
David

S

stevew

Hi GA_DAVID

Well, I spent about two hours in my back yard last night working with the MD. I buried several different coins thru out the yard and studied the responce type I got on each one. I even tried it on several PT's and nails.
Right now, I want to hunt everything. I know that will change and I will want to specialize in something, but for right now, its all about the hunt!
This weekend I'm going to hit a local school ground and see what I can find.

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident
I live in Marietta close to Woodstock and have been MDing for a good while. Always looking for others to partner with.

Randall

OP
OP
GA_DAVID

GA_DAVID

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2007
Woodstock, Ga
Detector(s) used
Randall,
Just out of curiosity, did you know or ever hunt with Roger Dick? He use to live off of Kennesaw Due West Rd.
David

Z

Zodiak

When i was 15 my father took me to a property in that area where i found my first tiny peice of GA gold. Stands out like nothing else. I love to pan for gold and metal detect. I have had an itch to buy a backpack dredge for sometime but opted for the DFX first. Shoot me a PM anytime. If it involves treasure hunting i'm in. And by the way while it is illegal to metal detect in state parks i know the local park rangers metal detect the county maintained parks, and allow others to do it as well. ASK a PARK RANGER first though. No need getting in trouble because you didnt ask, i just know a couple of rangers where i live.

Some ballground GA gold history http://www.nuggethunters.com/georgia.html

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naw, not prospecting, I would like to know what ya'll know about the hiden Indian gold from canton, ballground, hightower and north of there.

OP
OP
GA_DAVID

GA_DAVID

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2007
Woodstock, Ga
Detector(s) used
The "Hidden" gold that the Indians left behind prior to being moved out along the trail of tears has been the subject of surprisingly few published legends. Probably the most prevalent being that from the area of the Cherokee Forsyth county line. It is in this area that the largest and richest tribes lived. Two books I can think of that have been published that relate the stories specifically regarding this area. It's closed now but there was a small Indian museum in this area ran by a descendant by the name of J.C. Gazaway. He has since passed on, about 6 years ago, but many of the stories and clues that he use to talk about ended up in Ernie Andrews book about Georgia treasures. I have hunted this area for several years but had taken a break for the past couple. I was just up looking at the area last week and from a hunting perspective it has changed and not for the better. Vulcan now has a large operation right along Settindown creek and most other access to the area is fenced and heavily posted with no trespass signs. I have a fairly decent amount of info regarding this area and would always be interested in getting together to compare notes. The one good thing right now is that the waters levels are so low...bad news is snakes are out in force.

David

bigscrub

Jul 10, 2005
brandon,fla
Detector(s) used
minelab ex 2, wot,and joey coils, garrett deepseeker,whites 6000 di pro
hello all...im in blairsville right now...and will be till tuesday morn...then going to clayton area for the chatooga river whitewater trip with my daughter....been on my laptop looking for some old parks or schools in the area...not much luck it seems...anyone got ideas...for the area? would love to do some mding.....they said there were some older schools...but been sold and made one big sschool for everybody....and the land where they were has been bought and built on ect...they also have vogel park...but thats off limits im guessing...a state park thing right?....bigscrub

Michael Karpovage

Jul 30, 2010
Roswell, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab 3030 CTX
Hi GA David, I happened to stumble upon this old thread while doing a search for J.C. Gazaway's book on Cherokee treasure. I live down in Roswell, GA. But to the point of the Ball Ground treasure -- known as the Secret Cherokee Tunnel, I just so happened to have published a mystery thriller novel on the subject released in February 2014. It is fiction of course, but all based on that one treasure. The book is titled MAP OF THIEVES. There's even a couple of autographed copies of my book in FoxTale Book Shoppe right there in downtown Woodstock. I had hunted, too, along the Etowah in search of this treasure to no avail, but having spoken to some old timer treasure hunters I have some clues on possible sites. Anyway, do look up the novel. It's educational and highly entertaining. Sorta like the movie National Treasure.

GoldenTimes

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2014
Detector(s) used
White detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If any are still searching for the tunnel most of the old trees are gone now but the rock piles remain, with a few rock carvings near the river that are still there. Between the blasting near the quarry and recent earthquakes the deadfalls have been set off.

JETSEMT-P

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm visiting the cherokee county area tomorrow through the 17th and would love to do some digging if there's anyone local that would like to go.

Lingerfelt

Greenie
Jun 27, 2014
North Georgia Mtns
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys I live in Canton and stumbled across this thread and would love to do any type of treasure hunting!!!! Im new to this and have no MD as of yet but would love to do any type hunting be it panning or what ever! Send me a PM if anyone is interested!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread