YORKVILLE GOLD MINE...

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Infinium LS/ Ace 250/ Scorpion Gold Stinger/AT Gold/AT Pro
Yeh I found the Yorkville mine last weekend. Did some detecting there and alot of walking to find places to detect and to actually find where they mined. I found lots of workings, but on the way back to my truck I found a very large digging and small sluce box. So I logged it in my memory because I was to tired to detect, still had a long walk back to truvk. Will go there again some other time for some extensive detecting, hopefully to find some nuggets. I will probally go back there by myself first time then ask other detectorist to go with...could be fun! Was cool to read someone else was interested in this one.

Bearkat
GTI 2500

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do yall know anything about the one near Acworth and Pumpkinvine creek? I have a relative that lives close to where "GoldMaps" indicates a past Gold mine, and there is some tales of Indians mining and burying some gold near there.

OP
OP
Blacksheep 6

Blacksheep 6

Aug 10, 2005
Southeastern Sector
Bear...do keep in mind that is WMA land, not sure of MD'ing rules there as it is actually owned by the city of Atlanta...go figure...BEST of luck to you...may run into you out there sometime...live close but working 6 days a week right now, and with bow season just around the corner,may have more company then u want...WEAR ORANGE...

Capt...never heard of that one near Acworth, although not totally out of the realm of possibilities...Punkinvine is a much bigger creek up that way, damn near a small river...try PM'ing Ivan Salis over at the Shipwreck Forum...He's a wealth of research knowledge...best of luck...

Thanks for the replies gentlemen...was wondering if anyone was even reading this thread...GOOD HUNTING to both of you!!!

Blacksheep6...

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;) been there several times,have found several pickers.and saw a fingernail size piece ,rough with a lot of character.panning is ok or maybe a (small) sluice.i wouldn't take a detector ,part of pauding national forest (severe penalties).nice mine shaft ,be careful it has a 180 feet deep hole full of water,and from time to time very large rattle snakes!

ChrisGa

Greenie
Jan 27, 2008
I been trying to find more info on this mine for months. I may not be looking in the right place until I found this site. I dont do any metal detecting but I use my sluice box and gold pan to look for gold. Im 24 yrs old and its one of the best hobbys I have ever had. Can someone give me more info on how to get to the actual mine and/or to local creeks in the imediate area?? Do I need to check in with the WMA station or get a permit of sometype to dig with a shovel in the creeks? Or does anyone know of any public access places near Floyd,Polk,Paulding,Haralson area where I can run my small sluice box? Any help will be much appreciated. THANKS guys/gals

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;) creek is small ,need small i mean small sluice ,go down to creek follow upstream to tailing piles right side up the hill.

ChrisGa

Greenie
Jan 27, 2008
Cool thanks. Where Can I park to walk up to it? Do I need to park on the road or is there a backroad I can take that gets close to it?

I have a small 6"w by 24" long sluice and a 10"w and 42"L sluice. I also have a recirculating sluice which is mainly my clean up sluice but can be used in normal prospecting but wont be able to run much material. I could always use my gold pans in the creek ;D

Any gold found in the creeks down there??? I'd love to go back in the mines but from what I have been told and have read they are really dangerious. So I believe it is better off I stay out. Thanks for the info and the message !

ChrisGa

Greenie
Jan 27, 2008
Well I went down towards the Paulding Forest WMA right off GoldMine RD. Parked right off the road the gate was locked. Walked half a mile or so and saw a nice little creek. Didnt do any panning or anything but I am going back tomorrow to try my hand at some sample panning in that small creek and if I find anything im gonna bring in my small sluice. Found an old wooden homemade sluice box on the banks that looks to be there for a long while. Maybe I can find some gold. Found a few nice spots that looks promising.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
blacksheep youur mail box is maxed out --delate some junk so I can chat to you --- ivan

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Infinium LS/ Ace 250/ Scorpion Gold Stinger/AT Gold/AT Pro
What the **** happened to the Yorkville gold mine? I went there 2 weeks ago on my visit to Georgia and it had been clear cut of all the trees right up to about one hundred feet from the creek and about 200 feet from the edge of the mine shafts...unbelievable destruction of a beautiful gold area. And history all gone. Just the creek looks the same, but the formerly nice half mile walk was ugly. Geez, stupid city of Atlanta, who owns it, must have needed some cash cause they spent all theirs. What say you Strickman? You been there lately?

Alan

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bear ,i haven't been there lately.but that sucks!i heard from sombody that there are more shafts in that area also.are you still around?

navdre158

Feb 27, 2011
I was just out there today . . . very cool place. There has been a lot of woods clear cut. It really took away from the history in that area. I have also heard that there are more mines in the area. Will be out there again soon. I really hope this place stays untouched by the general public!

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard you can't pan there anymore . that sucks used to be a good place . city of atlanta owns it . paulding forest manages it . bunch of crap !!!!!!

navdre158

Feb 27, 2011
I'm almost sure the City of Atlanta doesn't own that portion of the WMA, but I do know that they own a huge portion of land off Brushy Mt. Road.

A friend of mine works for DNR, I'll find out if we can still pan down there and who exactly owns it. I would think you could, because there were several people down there today, none of which seemed to be hiding their activities, who knows, but I'll find out.

I also heard that there was another mine in the area . . . I'll be back trying to find that one . . . heard it was pretty cool also.

I'm new to all this, but ready to learn.

H

HAVE DETECTOR WILL TRAVEL

I hope this helps=http://www.clocations.com/clist.aspx?list=caty&state=GA&caty=Mine
Good tunes while you look=http://www.timsah.com/Bob-Dylan-Its-Alright-Ma-Im-Only-Bleeding/Z0TrQVD1emX
I can show you if you need.

rjwhite

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2011
I live in the area and had no idea these places were nearby. I do not even want to look for gold or anything, I would just love to see the sites and take some pictures of the mines.

KimmyNWGa50

Nov 4, 2023
I'm from here. I've been in the Mines. They are several caves in the ground. My friends and I have made late night trips into them messing around. 5he walls shine w gold sparkles. Easy to get to after a hike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread