Georgia diggers... fill your holes!

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
I don't know if other states have this problem because I only hunt in GA. I live in Cartersville and I am amazed at how many people think it is too much trouble to fill in a stinking hole. Someone went to an old pocket park on MLK in Cartersville a few weeks ago and left it looking like a war zone. What's the matter with people?? Our hobby has little clout and need's all the good will we can muster... people who do not fill holes should be completely shut out by the rest of us if they persist after being instructed.
Lazy, sorry people ruin things for everyone.

Sorry for the rant. The reason I posted it here is so that hopefully whoever did it will read this.

Do you have these kind of people in your area?

J

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats why a state park stopped MDing near me >:( AA

tim31174

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2007
Rome Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm a Rookie but even I know to fill in my holes.

Another thing is ask permisson when on private property. I made a guy leave my companies property about a month ago, its posted private, and has Do Not Enter signs all over. If he had asked I would have told him to go ahead, but he didn't. He was also pretty rude when I asked why he was digging a hole in our land. So I had to ask him to leave.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
hunt public land in GAS is often illegal--- private land only --is what I've heard ---damage and breaking into indain burial mounds and such --- caused that to happen

garrets250

Oct 19, 2007
really really!i live in cartersville!well more white i was wondering,are you allowed to hunt a dellinger park and is it anygood?

garrets250

Oct 19, 2007
one more thing....
is it that little park with 1 playground and a couple ot those little teeter totters near the library?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, we have slob hunters everywhere it seems. I went to an old closed beach not long ago and some idiot had dug foot deep holes with a shovel and not filled them in! I tried to kick dirt in the holes as best I could but my foot can't compete with a shovel. M :'( nty

garrets250

Oct 19, 2007
like those are the people who ruin the hobby.because when one person does that all metal detectorist get frown on.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mxtuser12 said:
like those are the people who ruin the hobby.because when one person does that all metal detectorist get frown on.
Usually people who do things like that don't have the know how to cut on a computer, so I doubt they would be reading this post.
I hope the one who digs like that is condemned to an afterlife of digging holes in concrete.

OP
OP
J

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
garrets250 said:
really really!i live in cartersville!well more white i was wondering,are you allowed to hunt a dellinger park and is it anygood?

Yes, you can hunt Dellinger but I have only been there once. There is clad and other stuff. I may go over there this week because I need somewhere easy to help me learn to use my SE. The other park is Fite street park. I have dug a a bit of clad there but they are re-doing it right now.

J

garrets250

Oct 19, 2007
so its that one thats near the libray and that intersecton that they have that bobcat(bulldozer thingy) at?

OP
OP
J

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
Yeah, that's Fite street park. It's a "pocket park" there is another one on MLK. There is a vacant lot around the corner from Fite st. park too. I found a few things there.

J

Consealed

Oct 26, 2007
Monoray, CA
Detector(s) used
Acer 250
The indain Mounds in macon Was broken into and dug back in the sucluded part of the marsh.... The musuem doesnt know how much was lost they are offering a $1000 reward for any knowledge as to who the diggers were..

There is always that one peron out of many that ruin things for others >(

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
LIVE IN BAINBRIDGE GA , AND I SEE THE SAME PROBLEM. FARMERS AND LAND OWNER NOT WANTING MEDAL DETECTING ON THERE PROPERTY DUE TO NOT RESPECTING LANOWNERS ABOUT FILLING HOLES.. COME ON PEOPLE. >:(

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have the same problem in Florida. I have covered holes left in parks and beaches. It is frustrating because to the general public they think we are all doing this. At the beach I am always filling holes others have left because I don't want the people there to think I did them. I had the same problem at Myrtle Beach last year too. There are some detectorists that either simply don't care or may not realize that they are shooting themselves on the foot by their bad habits.

I wish metal detector companies would make people sign that they will cover their holes and respect private/public property before being able to buy a machine.

Moe

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
I am always filling holes left by idiots.
The hobby is being endangered by idiots out there.

B

Brush Creek

It's not just filling in the hole that counts. But the detectorist should always take the garbage with them. dont just leave it in the yard or on the ground. I see so much junk just left beside the open hole like cans and hub caps and licence plates. Whats wrong with people.
It must be a problem in every state. I think they just go crazzy digging every thing like a wolf with the smell of blood in there mind.
I have found out though that if this kind of person has detected that if you go back over there mess you will find what they miss. they are in so much hurry they miss more coins than they get.

I dig allone and don't dig with partners anymore becouse of this problem.
and like to leave the site better than when I got there.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
I always cover my holes and pick up trash. I have yet to see anyone else MD in my area. Homer I use to live in Bainbridge.
People who leave holes uncovered are NOT true MD'ers. They are just lazy and no better than the trash they leave behind!

kvdbssmstr

Jun 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found this thread, does anybody know any good places in Cartersville to detect, like Star's Pre K. I know Delinger Park and the Fite Park. Also, would the old Cass High School be alright on Grassdale Road?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread