richm

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, thats awsome. Is there a follow up on the trip, pics and finds etc.? I was in Pa. on that day last year, wish I had known. Have you ever hunted another "modern ghost town" called Celestia? Apparantly a cult following where people sold all their belongings to give to this Guy who had them believe there would be a "second coming". They moved to this mountain and set up their own town, after the "second coming" never came, most abandoned the town and finally the Government took the land for failure to pay taxes. There is no mention of what happened to all that money that he took from his followers!! I think he went insane and died. Could be a good candidate for a cache hunt. I believe the place is now an obscure tourist attraction. I don't know if I have all the details correct, maybe you know more about it. I will be visiting the area (about a half hour away) this summer. My father-in-law lives in Lincoln Falls, a bourogh of Forksville, about an hour from Williamsport. Do you know the area? Rich M. Connecticut.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was A fun Day, Would like to get up again
only followup i remember of off hand

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,164422.0.html

don't remember if anyone else posted

Celestia was to be a Religious Utopia. in Sullivan county
Built by John Armstrong, in the late 1800's.
The land was deeded to God. but you have to
go to the Historical Museum, or County Court House
(In Laporte Borough, Rte. 42)
before you can visit the lands, they are private.
so hunting them would most likely be out.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pasulliv/SullivanCountyHistoricalSociety/Celestia.html

No I have never been to the Forksville area Either.

Nugget Noob

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
Isn't this the town where the underground coal accidentally caught fire?
I think several people still reside there in the rural areas, but it's 99% abandoned.
Also something about the underground fire has been burning somewhere between 40-60 years?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions