goldenlady

Mar 5, 2008
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Strike
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi There,

One of my favorites is Pyke Townsite. Yep that's the way they spelled Pike on the sign. We have ( I believe) the only picture of the sign identifying the town as the sign was destroyed many years ago. Located in the Sangre de Cristo mountains. San Louis side. Wild Cherry creek area.
Highway 285 over Poncha Pass to highway 17 towards the Sand Dunes. Left turn on Road AA and it will take you to the stream. Cross (walk it isn't real big) over stream and you will find Pyke Townsite. A few cabins still standing and 2 copper mines. It lasted from 1900 to 1902 until one of the mines collapsed on the miners.

Anyway it's one of my favorite ghost towns.

Goldenlady

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Nope.

But I have been to an Alabama ghost town and let me tell you, the detector went crazy. I was digging targets that were inches apart. I will never, in a lifetime, dig all the goodies out of that site. It blew my mind. :o

I'm sure the scenery is much better in Colorado. :)

Gobpile

Mar 19, 2010
Underground
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Garrett GTI2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go to a new ghost town every two weeks during the summer.Last weekend we went to the San Juans and went to a few of the more remote mining camps Virginious mine in goveners basin,Sneffles, Animas Forks and Tom boy.Lots to see! I head up to Victor and Cripple creek at least a few times a month and do very well,thanks to tons of research! Next weekend is Lake City and Creede. Colorado is loaded with great mining camps and railroad sites!

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Colorado14ers said:
If you have been to a colorado ghost town post a message, my personal fav is the town of St.elmo, very historic and many origonal buildings are still there!

If you like St Elmo, have you read the book "From Gold to Ghosts" by Peter Anderson? It is a "complete history of St. Elmo, Colorado." and a pretty decent book.

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have been to St Elmo, it was pretty cool, but I am hoping to find a TRUE GHOST town in the forest where I can do some detecting...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread