Ghost Towns in TEXAS

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Next weekend a friend and I have planned to make a trip to several ghost towns here in Texas. We have researched them all and mapped our routes. Here is a list of spots we will be visiting. I am real excited as I will be bringing the detector !!

1. Independence
2. The Grove
3. Williams Ranch
4. Whon
5. Doole
6. Salt Gap
7. Calf Creek
8. Morris Ranch
9. Lukenbach
10. Praha

Wish us luck ! I pray we found some good things...... Maybe some ghosts too

NoNeck

Aug 31, 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Ace 250, Garrett PP, Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a weedwacker too grass will be overgrown. Stay Safe HH

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luckenbach isnt a good place to go on weekends

the beer hall is open, and lots of pickers and grinners!!!!!

Neat place, tho

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you end up doing? I have thought about the same thing myself, just never gotten around to it.

coketab

Jan 2, 2013
I'm looking at going to the ghost town of Alton near Denton TX that is the only place around me I know to go. Let me know how you do. good luck

coketab

Jan 2, 2013
I found trash and lots of it, but I did find a house way back in the woods that had caved in on itself. Plan on going back sometime soon not sure when though found another spot that is producing every day.

Fritos56

Apr 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Praha is not that far from San Antonio.Been there several times. Hackberry is a ghost town.There are a couple of old victorian houses there and a stone store building with iron shutters.It's also around the Praha area. Those towns are in the book by T.Lindsey Baker.Texas Escapes has more information also on these towns.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know where a real ghost town is. It may be be in Oklahoma but if it is , you can spit into Texas because is on the state line on U.S. Route 66. Texola is the name. I once went to a funeral there for my Great Aunt. I stood outside the church in the middle of Route 66 and could of laid down and took a nap. No traffic. I stood in the middle of Route 66 , smoking a cigarette with one foot in Texas , the other in Oklahoma. Look it up on the map.

Last edited:

smitty988

Dec 1, 2015
Cedar Creek TEXAS
Detector(s) used
AT Max (Garrett)
1236-M (Fisher)
Willow Branch
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most folks unaware that TEXAS has more ghost towns than any other state ? How/Why you say ? It all has to do with railroads remember steam engines had to have water every 7 or 8 miles. When they brought trains in many, many towns just picked up and moved to the nearest set of tracks. Check it out you'll see what I mean, good hunting.....smitty988

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread