pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a little town that is no longer used in a little mining town called "Venterspost" in South Africa and about 5 minutes from where I live. The only reason it is still in one piece is that they have a security guard watching over the place.

God bless
Peter

Attachments

• Venterspost Town1c.jpg
    Venterspost Town1c.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 2,615
  • Venterspost Town2c.jpg
    Venterspost Town2c.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 3,026
  • Venterspost Townc.jpg
    Venterspost Townc.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 2,644
  • Venterspost Town3c.jpg
    Venterspost Town3c.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 2,580
  • Venterspost Town2c.jpg
    Venterspost Town2c.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 2,591
  • Venterspost Town1c.jpg
    Venterspost Town1c.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 2,620
OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

This is open to all entries from over seas! Post away folks.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes verycool gill!!!!

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

Coulson Montana

Here is the site of Coulson, Montana. She is no more, Plaque on rock notes site existed. Walk shot is general area of main street. River is the Yellowstone and overlooking bluffs. Only folks left from Coulson are these: Pictures of Boothill, the one head stone is the sheriff, who died of a gunshot wound. Only about 40 or so graves here, law men and outlaws.

Attachments

• Coulson sheriff.jpg
    Coulson sheriff.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 2,819
  • boothill coulson b.jpg
    boothill coulson b.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 2,866
  • Boothill Coulson a.jpg
    Boothill Coulson a.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 2,499
  • Coulson yellowstone river.jpg
    Coulson yellowstone river.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,962
  • Coulson site.jpg
    Coulson site.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 2,495
  • Coulson marker.jpg
    Coulson marker.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 3,058

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Below is what is left at Mud Springs, Arizona. I'm not sure it would qualify as a ghostTOWN per se. There was a large ranch operation here and a stagecoach stop, as well as a calvary outpost. The little hut that you can see is what's left of the stagecoach stop. The road is the road from Chihuahua, Chihuahua, Mexico, through Guadalupe Canyon on the Mexican border to Mud Springs and then on to Tombstone and Tucson. The ranch at Mud Springs was part of the Chiricahua Cattle Company in the late 1800's. The CCC was one of the largest cattle empires in America. It covered the land that is now a little more than half of Cochise County Arizona, which is about the same size as the state of New Jersey. The CCC's range was from the border, north to Willcox, Arizona and from Tombstone, east to the Chiricahua Mountains. A range about 1/3 larger than the state of Delaware. Most of the ranchhands for the CCC were land owners. In as much, the government gave them 160 acres for a homesite. The CCC's though on the matter was that whomever controls the water, controls the range. They staked homes on most of the available water sources in the Sulfur Spring Valley and even claimed land where the water might be close to the surface. They didn't need to own all the range if they had all the water. People didn't have to live on the claim as long as they were building a house on the land that was claimed. Some houses went up REALLY slow... like one brick a day slow. Anyway, Mud Springs was claimed sometime around 1880.

Attachments

• Station.JPG
    Station.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 2,455
  • Graffiti.JPG
    Graffiti.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,485
  • Graffiti.JPG
    Graffiti.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,418
  • Station.JPG
    Station.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 2,418

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Lorane, OR

While Lorane is nowhere near dead (Pop. 389), I chose this town as my family has deep roots here. The old DB Cartwright house is where I'll be spending some time this summer. My Great-Great-Grandmother bought this place in 1889. It was passed on to her son in 1902, and my Grandmother was born there in 1911, she'll be celebrating her 95th Birthday this year!

Apparently Cartwright had the frame of the house hewn from cedar logs and the outside of the house was of fir lumber.. The nails were square-headed and hand forged and puttied over to prevent rust. (My Uncle Jerry went by there when they were tearing the house down and the carpenters gave him some of the nails from the house.) There were 15 rooms in the house, with living rooms on both floors. They had running water in the house which came by means of a series of hollowed out logs which ran from Cowell Creek behind the house to the kitchen, then out by a drain made of similar hollow logs. There was room for 12 double beds in the house but only one closet under the stairway which was used to store guns. Pegs were driven into the walls to hang clothing on. D. B. Cartwright built the cabinetwork in the house himself in both the dining room and kitchen. There were elaborate cornices at the eaves, 12 paned windows throughout and a massive double front door which required a 9 inch key. Porches on both floors ran the full length of the house. If you know what Lincoln's house in Illinois looks like, you have a good idea of what this house looked like. I'll get some old pics up soon. It is believed that General U.S. Grant, before he became president of the U. S. was an overnight guest at the hotel while traveling from Portland to San Francisco. Geez, where DIDN'T Grant sleep? ;)
William Russell bought the house from his father-in-law in May of 1866, renaming it the Mountain House Hotel. Cartwright remained there however, until his death in 1875. Russell established a telegraph station at the hotel during the Civil War and his wife, Katie Cartwright was the first telegraph operator. One of the first messages received was the news of the assassination of President Lincoln. It was necessary to relay the message by horseback to Cottage Grove however, as there was no telegraph to that town at the time.
After the railroad was built through Cottage Grove and there was no longer a need for the less comfortable stagecoaches, the Mountain House ceased it's operation as a hotel. The Cartwright-Russell heirs used it as their home until 1889 when it was purchased by Nancy E. Addison along with 200 acres of land. It remained in the family until 1953. The first pic is of the historical marker, the second is of the site as it is now, with Dianna in the foreground.

Attachments

• Cartwright.jpg
    Cartwright.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 2,375
  • S4020443.jpg
    S4020443.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 2,322
  • S4020442.jpg
    S4020442.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 2,291

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeffro your kinda cute ....LMAO ;)

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
You should see me in a bikini! ;D

Heading out on a ghost town roundup today, Reed, Kirbros, Beecher, and Austa

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tried calling you this morning Slow, musta been on the comp, phone was busy for quite awhile. We just hit Austa, I'll post pics in a bit, gotta get to a doctor appt.-

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Couldn't have gone anyway. I was the only one here for most of the day. Hope you had a good time. Looking forward to the pics. Take care. Slow.

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola
Grapetown tx

Town sign
GrapetownTexasSign605SYarbrough.jpg

In 1887 a singing club and a shooting club merged (allowing members to sing while shooting) and as if that wasn't enough, Grapetown then started the first annual Gillespie County Schuetzenfest (shooting festival). The Handbook of Texas allows that during this festival, 140 kegs of beer were consumed in four days - but gives no information on the accuracy of the marksmen.

School house
GrapetownTexasSchoolhouse605SYarbrough4.jpg

L

Little Bird

One of my finds today.

Attachments

• surprise.jpg
    surprise.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2,195

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread