Abandoned mining town pictures as promised

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
As I posted before, I had so much trouble with my Explorer 2 (my fault - I am SO confused as to how to use it and my platypus coil) while I was in this area in the Mid-West that I recovered not a single thing. But anyway, for fun, I wanted to show everyone these pics I took! Enjoy and don't drool on the keyboard! ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• CIMG1015.jpg
    CIMG1015.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 2,043
  • CIMG1021.jpg
    CIMG1021.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 2,050
OP
OP
ScottNewMexico

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
More pics...this is a PUBLIC area on this particular photo (the bottom one) but it was a beautiful sight to see.

Attachments

• CIMG1029.jpg
    CIMG1029.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 2,013
  • CIMG1075.jpg
    CIMG1075.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 2,013

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Nice Pictures! Reminds me of the old mines I visited in South Dakota years ago.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Scott,

very nice group of pics.

Must have been something to see, when
folks where around.

Did you do much research on the area
prior to your hunt? If so, what dates
was the location active? Do any looking
for dumps?

Again, thanks for posting, very nice.

have a good un............

OP
OP
ScottNewMexico

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Yes, I did do some research on the area and found it to be active in 1853 to about 1867 or so. I did this after I found the area by accident! ;D It was beautiful there and all that I thought of was the people there. Seems there were about 50 residents there that mined for gold. Apparently there was little recovered there during the time spent. It was literally like traveling back in time. There was NO trash there and no evidence of modern infiltration. My girlfriend found the top of a thick, light purple bottle that had broken from the rest of the bottle, but we couldn't find a dump in the town on our visit. It is there, just don't know where yet. I can't wait to return there to try finding these things!

Thanks for your compliment - it is truely appreciated!

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
Scott,

very nice group of pics.

Must have been something to see, when
folks where around.

Did you do much research on the area
prior to your hunt? If so, what dates
was the location active? Do any looking
for dumps?

Again, thanks for posting, very nice.

have a good un............

OP
OP
ScottNewMexico

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Yep. Found it by accident. The only area not found by accident, as it was a public area was the second-to-last photo.

I don't understand the question: Did you take a jaunt over the bridge? ??? The journey was indeed kind of long, but was for pleasure. ;)

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
most early dumps i have located have all been below buildings/houses and usually in a ravine....

OP
OP
ScottNewMexico

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I really wish that I could take you with me there Gldhntr. I honestly need help finding it if it is still there and undiscovered. It most likely is already discovered and cleaned out knowing my luck :-)

gldhntr said:
most early dumps i have located have all been below buildings/houses and usually in a ravine....

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
i have on the earlier places never found a trash pile uphill, never on level ground with buildings...ALWAYS downhill, usually if not always in the woods, and most often in a large ravine...sometimes quite a bit away but if it would be a hard climb back to the buildings the trash pile was not too far...also it was usually hauled in loads on wagon or skid so look for old pathways leading down and ending at or near woodline and keep going....if in ravine on slope bottles may be scattered all along quite a distance at bottom...........gldhntr

OP
OP
ScottNewMexico

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Great info! There was a wagon trail that we followed for nearly a mile, but never followed it to the end. The trail, on the left side going away from the town was a steep uphill, forrested with large boulders. The end of the trail seemed to end at a beaver pond. The other end of that trail went downhill also, but we never follwed that side down at all. perhaps it was in that direction?

gldhntr said:
i have on the earlier places never found a trash pile uphill, never on level ground with buildings...ALWAYS downhill, usually if not always in the woods, and most often in a large ravine...sometimes quite a bit away but if it would be a hard climb back to the buildings the trash pile was not too far...also it was usually hauled in loads on wagon or skid so look for old pathways leading down and ending at or near woodline and keep going....if in ravine on slope bottles may be scattered all along quite a distance at bottom...........gldhntr

OP
OP
ScottNewMexico

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hey Cyn, that was a mining car bridge that ends at the right edge of the picture. Good guess, the ravine is nearly 200 feet deep at that spot! The bridge terminates as if never finished, OR it eventually crashed from rotting and was cleaned up a little bit. There are lots of wood planks lying below. The public area pictured in that particular image is just outside of Durango, Colorado. The rest of the images are quite a distance from there.

fleamistress said:
ScottNewMexico said:
Yep. Found it by accident. The only area not found by accident, as it was a public area was the second-to-last photo.

I don't understand the question: Did you take a jaunt over the bridge? ??? The journey was indeed kind of long, but was for pleasure. ;)

I thought I saw a little bridge on the right in one over you pics. I imagined a 500' ravine below it...

Cyn

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome pictures and site, hope you get that detector figured out! HH, Mike

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Wow I dont know how I missed this post. These photos are great. I cant wait to see what you pull out of this place. That dump wont be far from those buildings. Locate the privys. Any chance of you getting photos when this place was in its hey day?
Check the floor board of the buildings for hidden loot.
Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread