South Dakota Ghost Towns

goodie hunter

Jul 24, 2011
Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Strictly Garrett
Very new to this site. It is wonderful.
I am a history buff, mostly Ghost Towns.
Been working on a project now for the last
3 years, listing ghost towns in the Black Hills
of S. Dak. Most all information has came from
library micro-fiche, word of mouth from old timers,
and actual beating the paths finding old settlements.
I have approximately 400 locations, and directions to
get to them + co-ordinates. The list is not complete as
of this writing, but if one needs directions to one of these
places, I would be thrilled to help them out. Just send an
email. Again, what a site this treasure net is. Actual pictures
is next on my agenda.

OP
OP
G

goodie hunter

Jul 24, 2011
Detector(s) used
Strictly Garrett
Good to talk to you too Hossnv.
Never thought much about Ghost Towns until I made a nice discovery alongside
a foundation with no building. Found out the foundation was a boarding house that catered to the rich supporters from back east. One find led to another and the adrenaline was running. Never thought putting this book together would take so much of my time, but enjoying every second of it now. Ghost Towns are a great place to MD. Makes sense that we loose things today the same as they did back then.

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any updates, goodie hunter? Sounds like a very interesting project! There are a lot of ghost towns in the Black Hills that have disappeared, especially in the last couple of decades, hopefully we don't lose any more. We lost the Trojan schoolhouse last year, and Trojan was demolished a few years before that. Also, your website is pretty handy, menotomymaps. I've seen in a bunch of old South Dakota maps a town called 'New Chicago', but I have never been able to find any historical information on it, nor have I ever seen it mentioned anywhere other than on maps. Does anyone know if it was actually a functioning town, or mining camp, or if there's anything left of it?

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maitland said:
Any updates, goodie hunter? Sounds like a very interesting project! There are a lot of ghost towns in the Black Hills that have disappeared, especially in the last couple of decades, hopefully we don't lose any more. We lost the Trojan schoolhouse last year, and Trojan was demolished a few years before that. Also, your website is pretty handy, menotomymaps. I've seen in a bunch of old South Dakota maps a town called 'New Chicago', but I have never been able to find any historical information on it, nor have I ever seen it mentioned anywhere other than on maps. Does anyone know if it was actually a functioning town, or mining camp, or if there's anything left of it?

Glad to hear the maps are of use to you.

"New Chicago" I researched that a few years ago and came up empty - no idea where the name came from or what it is/was.

OP
OP
G

goodie hunter

Jul 24, 2011
Detector(s) used
Strictly Garrett
Maitland said:
New Chicago
In Lawrence County S Dak.
NE Corner of T5N, R2E
Early reports tells of a successful placer on False Bottom Creek, just above New Chicago. So New Chicago, I believe would have had
to be the same as what was known as Maitland.

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goodie hunter said:
Maitland said:
New Chicago
In Lawrence County S Dak.
NE Corner of T5N, R2E
Early reports tells of a successful placer on False Bottom Creek, just above New Chicago. So New Chicago, I believe would have had
to be the same as what was known as Maitland.

Great research, Goodie!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread