Pennington Wi Ghost Town

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Pennington WI

Land Land Land....80 acres for 50.00 ......Homesteaders....Clear 3 acres per year and you will get a government Land Grant!

Before the Soo Line Railroad cut through the Northwoods in 1893, the small town of Pennington had already existed for several years ,under the name of Morrison. Much of the early history has been lost,but we know that it was a small settlement located about five miles on highway 8 ,between Catawba and Prentice ,Price County WI.The name change was in honor of Mr Pennington President of the Soo Line.
Within a short time of the railroad,a water tower,turntable ,depot were all in place to service the four daily stops of the train.By 1895 a large sawmill, Kruegers was in operation and they were busy supplying railroad ties to Soo Line. Soo Line owned and operated the Soo Line Hotel,a grocery store,eating house,Post Office and general merchandise. Later they built a 30x40 one room schoolhouse ,which was moved and then torn down in 1961.
By 1900 there were over 200 people living in the town of Pennington. A half mile of board sidewalks and sewer was laid ,with manholes every 300 feet.There were blacksmiths and another huge mill,Uphams as well as carpenters,liveries and boarding houses.
In 1902 a fire swept away most of the towns buildings and by 1905 only a handful of buildings and people were left.

This weekend I was able to walk the railroad to the location of Pennington. Very little is left of this once thriving community,although several original homesteads are still in operation as farms .

Attachments

• Pennington Boarding House1900.JPG
    Pennington Boarding House1900.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,289
  • Pennington.JPG
    Pennington.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,292
  • Pennington 2.JPG
    Pennington 2.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,308
  • Pennington  Gr and Mo catching up.JPG
    Pennington Gr and Mo catching up.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 2,365
  • Pennington Burned foundation.JPG
    Pennington Burned foundation.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,307
  • Pennington Depot spot.JPG
    Pennington Depot spot.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 790
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
More

Attachments

• Pennington Foundation.JPG
    Pennington Foundation.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,430
  • Pennington Grandma Digging.JPG
    Pennington Grandma Digging.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,345
  • Pennington Start Walking.JPG
    Pennington Start Walking.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,310
T

TreasureTales

Yo, Gypsy, what kind of a cup or whatever is that pictured? I found something similar in a cowboy camp dump this weekend. It never had a handle but it was the size of a coffee cup. And it was thick, like a soup bowl. Anyone know what they called cups like that? The one I found was white overall, not decorated in any way. Reminded me of dishware from a hotel or restaurant, haven't yet researched the marks on the bottom.

Anyhow, cool stuff! I gotta admit I like relics more than old coins (with the exception of gold coins, which I have yet to find.) Good work and mighty interesting stuff.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome site and post Gypsy! Any date nails in those RR ties? Would google earth help find some of those foundations or are they obvious? Thanks for sharing and HH, Mike

Z

ZumbroKid

Thats on Beaumont Road and Old hwy. 8. My old stomping grounds. Thanks for the pictures of home. ;)

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
History is a great path to follow. The path is full of family dreams and destiny's. Continue on and search their heritage. Burdie

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Hey gypsy,my wife and I are in WI too. I have located a few ghost-towns, I'm trying to get permission to hunt them.They all look very promising. I'm stoked to get out to 'em!!

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
gold fish said:
Hey gypsy,my wife and I are in WI too. I have located a few ghost-towns, I'm trying to get permission to hunt them.They all look very promising. I'm stoked to get out to 'em!!
Where are you located?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread