Beveridge, California?

Gobpile

Mar 19, 2010
Underground
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Garrett GTI2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, its nothing like the books or other people say. It consists of a few mines ruins and a cabin. It is a very long hike that has awesome views.The story about a piano being removed by a helicopter is false also.The BLM removed some abandoned cyanide drums from a mine up there. Stick to Cerro Gordo it is so much more interesting!

OP
OP
Havilah_Springs

Havilah_Springs

Oct 23, 2011
VENTURA COUNTY, CA
Detector(s) used
WHITES EAGLE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gobpile said:
Yes, its nothing like the books or other people say. It consists of a mine with a cabin and very long hike that has awesome views.The story about a piano being removed by a helicopter is false also.The BLM removed some abandoned cyanide drums from a mine up there. Stick to Cerro Gordo it is so much more interesting!

Ah, then you didn't get all the way down to the actual town of Beveridge. Sounds like you got to the Green Bear Mine and support cabin. The town is a couple of miles further down. There are some foundations, cabin tents still intact, an outhouse that is suspended over a cliff on "Pony Rails," Cyanide vats, tram towers and powerhouse.

The piano that was removed was actually a cast iron stove, and it was removed from the Keynot Mine in the next canyon to the North. This is where the tram cable went to. On the ridge between these two sites is an intact two story cabin which is nice too.

If one's eyes are keen to detail you will notice an eight inch diameter wooden pipeline that runs from Cove Springs to the town. This was used for hydraulic mining.

H_S

OP
OP
Havilah_Springs

Havilah_Springs

Oct 23, 2011
VENTURA COUNTY, CA
Detector(s) used
WHITES EAGLE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldentruth said:
Did Ya find any stuff metal Detecting?
How do you hunt and look for?

Hello goldentruth, :hello:

Well, to tell you the truth, there were four of us on this expedition and we were each carrying different equipment (i.e. photographic, video, mapping, and metal detector). We planned this trip over a three day weekend and 3/4 of the way through the first day we were only half way to the canyon, so we dropped our backpacks, each carried two quarts of water and a camera and then went for it. We discovered Beveridge at 4:00 in the afternoon and only had time to photograph everything, planning to someday return to look for more.

By the time the sun hit the ridgeline we only made it to the head of the canyon and had to spend the night at the Greenbear Cabin without food or sleepingbags. Thank God there was an awesome spring at the cabin and plenty of beds with a stove. This is a trip that one should allow plenty of time for and be well prepared.

H_S

xymox

Jun 10, 2010
california
the place was hit years ago and the heli story has some truth dont know what was taken out but something big was pulled out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread