Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    815 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Trying to find lost towns in the swamp.....

I have had my eye on a few spots here where small towns were wiped off the map 100 years + ago by hurricanes. I know where they were based on old maps and have gone to one location so far to look around. The problem is there is absolutely no trace on the ground that I can make out. And the swampy land makes it even harder to see. Any tips on what to look for?

These were logging towns primarily, and as near as I can tell had very little in the way of brick or other solid structures, I thought about looking for chimney rubble, but it seems they were mostly up on stilts and probably had iron stoves, which probably sank into the ground years ago........

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

"That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

Now in the process of posting my antique photo collection at : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    579 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Trying to find lost towns in the swamp.....

Any coins have probably sunk into the ground too, when the water was supersaturated, much like material in a gold pan.

I'd crank your detector up and look for iron. I think you'd find light iron pieces.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds')
    Minelab Explorer
    1754 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Re: Trying to find lost towns in the swamp.....

I'd first look at Google Earth for signs of those settlements then I'd contact the local historian (through your library) for assistance.
    Don....

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors