Ghost towns of Minnesota.

naturalexplorer

Greenie
Feb 7, 2012
Saint Paul, MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One special place that never gets mentioned in noteable ghost towns is Swede Hollow on the lower east side of Saint Paul. It was a dump inhabited by Italians, blacks, and Jews until being declared a health hazard in the mid-fifties, and is well documented. It is now a county park, but before it got popular from the park system, a buddy and I found a sabre sword, coins, foundations, and all kinds of goodies. I wish there was more info on this location.

Attachments

• 220px-Swede_Hollow,_Phalen_Creek_2.jpg
    220px-Swede_Hollow,_Phalen_Creek_2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1,753
  • 800px-SwedeHollow.jpg
    800px-SwedeHollow.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 1,136
  • RailroadIsland.jpg
    RailroadIsland.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 981
OP
OP
naturalexplorer

naturalexplorer

Greenie
Feb 7, 2012
Saint Paul, MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be nice to find a plat map of this area around the 1880's or so. It seems to me this area is bigger than just what the park encompasses.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As is noted in the reference below, unlike the residential areas surrounding it, the Hollow was not divided into a regular grid pattern of streets and alleys. In fact, the one street in the Hollow was much more like a country lane, meandering along the side of the creek. The steep valley walls prevented the laying out of neat town lots as in the rest of the city. Check out Illustrations #4, #5 and #6, in particular.
Source: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...CfsuZr&sig=AHIEtbSML4dODW3ah8G_b1DmMvlVtEUXNQ
Don….

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is cool I live 4 blocks away from swede hollow been there a bunch of times when I was a kid, but since it was redone I not sure if there would be anything left to be found. It would be fun to find out though, you would have to go with a group or a few people since the sketchy neighborhood. I have detected the park above swede hollow before though.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a lot about Swede Hollow and I've hunted it before.

Also, mattfink... I'm mpls on our local forum ;) welcome here, this place is huge

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol! cool wit (mpls) I figured i'd use the same name so people would who it is.....I'm guessing swede hollow is loaded with trash but it still would be fun...yeah this site is MONSTEROUS!!!!!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread