CCC Camp Listings

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
After discovering this thread. I noticed one CCC camp in VT was not mentioned. Then I wondered how this list came about. Well anyway here's a photo of a CCC camp in Proctorsville VT/ Cavendish

View attachment 626737

Note: this picture was taken in 1934 Proctor Piper State Forest

Attachments

• CCC Camp Cavindish.png
    CCC Camp Cavindish.png
    192.2 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
In some Pennsylvania state parks, you can stay in cabins built my the CCC..They have since been updated with modern conviences, but still a nice place to stay.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it legal to MD on CCC camp lands or are they owned by the federal/state gov't? Just curious.

Anita

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are also CCC camps in New Hampshire. If you google CCC camps and your state, you can see if there are any CCC camps in your state.

Anita

idowa

Jan 21, 2012
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I stumbled upon a CCC camp site near Prescott. The creek next to it is good for finding gold...

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
above that site, is Howel smelter...the two sites are intertwined...the terraces are the smelter, just above the hole in the creek bottom...tent location just below the road between the camp an smelter...
smelter was built by barry goldwaters grand father...?great grandfather? packed the tools an fittings across the desert from la paz...
sharlot hall has some information on the site...most of the bricks were scavenged for gold content...seems the guy on fire watch was intoxicated, let the thing cool...turned the smelter into a big slag pile...I knew someone who got some bricks an ran them for content...

one of the drafts is above the hole mentioned...

pm me for location on a pile of silver ore...galena, lead content so high one can place a stone on a open flame an watch the metal run out...nasty/deadly, purty rocks...
not far from the location you mentioned.
seems the old timers were is such a fuss to get at the gold vein in walker, they threw the silver out...

lots of gold in that area... old timers dug below the gold bearing area...look above your head when standing in the creek...promise.

Last edited:

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
above that site, is Howel smelter...the two sites are intertwined...the terraces are the smelter, just above the hole in the creek bottom...tent location just below the road between the camp an smelter...
smelter was built by barry goldwaters grand father...?great grandfather? packed the tools an fittings across the desert from la paz...
sharlot hall has some information on the site...most of the bricks were scavenged for gold content...seems the guy on fire watch was intoxicated, let the thing cool...turned the smelter into a big slag pile...I knew someone who got some bricks an ran them for content...

one of the drafts is above the hole mentioned...

pm me for location on a pile of silver ore...galena, lead content so high one can place a stone on a open flame an watch the metal run out...nasty/deadly, purty rocks...
not far from the location you mentioned.
seems the old timers were is such a fuss to get at the gold vein in walker, they threw the silver out...

lots of gold in that area... old timers dug below the gold bearing area...look above your head when standing in the creek...promise.

I'll take some of that!

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can stay in the cabins that the CCC built in Bastrop state park,in Bastrop,TX.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
There are other state parks in Texas that were built by the CCC, at least one of which (to sweeten the pot a little) has many of the earmarks of a KGC depository. For you conspiracy theorists, this fits the hide in plain sight adage.

TCK

Last edited:

ezman604

Jan 8, 2014
West Coast of Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Bud 220 Select
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...
I just started doing some research on the CCC locations here in TN. I was researching my Dad's service. The National Archives in St. Louis has all of the records of folks that served. There were 77 camps in TN. PBS did a documentary in 2009 about the Roosevelt program of CCC. VERY good program if you can get your hands on it. Anyway, I am researching the camp locations here in West TN that Dad was at. I plan on getting permission to sweep them.
I love exploring history, especially when it involves my family!!!

SAFE & Happy Detecting!!!!
Dave
8-)

budaf250

Tenderfoot
Oct 12, 2012
Canastota
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT Gold, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have just checked in with the DEC. On Cobb Brook CCs Camp. There reply was that there is no metal detecting on any state land in New York.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I spent the morning trying to find sites here in MO. I shoulda known the info would be here on Tnet. I was wondering if the fire towers in MO were built by the CCC. Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread