Glastenbury, VT mysteries

insidesource

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2012
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was researching ghost towns in New England (unfortunately, not as many in this area as they have out west) and came across Glastenbury, Vermont, which used to be a small logging town, apparently. According to several things I found online, only 6 people left in the now unincorporated town as of the last US census. Anyway, I then came across some stories of the "Bennington triangle", in which Glastenbury lies in the middle of. According to Native Americans, Glastenbury Mountain was a negative area that they only used as a burial ground.

In the late 40s and 50s, several disappearances happened in the area, including but not limited to a hunting guide, a young college girl, and a young child. Of everyone who went missing, only one had their remains found, and that was Freida Langer. She was found in a field that had been combed over several times before. Here is something I found about another man who vanished:

"When it comes to disappearances, the case of Jamed E. Tetford is perhaps the strangest. A resident of the Bennington Soldiers' Home, Tetford was in St. Albans visiting relatives when he boarded the bus to return home. Witnesses confirm he got on the bus, and was on it at the stop before Bennington. There were supposed to be 15 passengers on the bus when it pulled into Bennington, but only 14 actually made it. Somewhere along the line, James E. Tetford, asleep on his seat, had vanished, leaving his belongings in the luggage rack and an open bus timetable on his vacant seat. It was three years to the day after Paula Welden disappeared, and Tetford was never seen again."

Here is a decent story on the "Bennington triangle":

http://www.virtualvermonter.com/almanac/benntriangle.htm

I was considering going to find Glastenbury when I first came across it on the web as it is relatively close to where I live in NH, but after reading more about this area, I am rethinking that idea!

drad91

Jan 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in bennington and don't know any one that has had the balls to fully enter the old town ruins the have been reports of military trucks going up the logging trail but never any leaving I also plan on going there to detect and bottling

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I know this is an old post, but did anyone look into Glastenbury any more? I'm going to be going up to Vermont this summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread