New person question

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is so basic, I'm almost embarrassed to ask. Are we allowed to detect ghost towns? If they're on BLM land or state park or some other protection, I would guess not but maybe I'm wrong. What about ones that aren't historical sites? What are the laws on all that and what is considered ethical or considerate to the site itself?

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
This is a difficult question. Discretion is advised. Are you wanting to detect one? If so I would not step foot on it without observing
it for a period of time to see if it is patrolled. If there are no signs telling you not to you might nibble at the edges and see if objections
are raised. The problem is if you go to some authority and ask if you can you might kill your chance without seeing if it might be
productive.

I have two I hunt on, one is on private land and have permission. The other is Forest Service and I have never been approached. The
main thing is to leave the site as you found it. I've seen guys come up and leave holes and I just wait till they leave and fill them in.
So if you are lucky enough to search a ghost treat her kindly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread