Pennsylvania Ghost Towns Camria County

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I'm not originally from PA, but am now living in Johnstown (Cambria County). I just joined this forum and am getting back into treasure hunting after a long hiatus (I just bought a DFX metal detector). Do you live in this area? Do you know about any clubs or groups that exist in the area? If I learn anything about the ghost towns you mention, I'll let you know.

Good luck,
Joe

OP
OP
D

datedwards94

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2006
IOm from Wilmerding, PA. I do ot know of any active organizations in this part of the state. I currently own a White's M6 and IDX Pro. I haven't been out much lately but have found a few spots I want to check out. I've been trying to use google earth to look at some things.

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
wolfmanjoe3 said:
I'm not originally from PA, but am now living in Johnstown (Cambria County). I just joined this forum and am getting back into treasure hunting after a long hiatus (I just bought a DFX metal detector). Do you live in this area? Do you know about any clubs or groups that exist in the area? If I learn anything about the ghost towns you mention, I'll let you know.

Good luck,
Joe

Hello, I'm new here on the forum, as my name implies, I'm from Johsntown, the flood city. I've done a great deal of Metal detecting there, I no longer live in the region. I cna tell you about some great sites. I don;t know about the old ghost towns, I have hunted a few old lumber camps west of town.

floodcitykid

Bowler Man

Jun 1, 2007
Ebensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I live in Ebensburg. Beulah is just outside of Ebensburg. It was once in line to be the county seat. It was founded in 1797 on the banks of the Blacklick, in Cambria Township two miles west of Ebensburg. The following is a quote from the 1890 Atlas of Cambria County:

"A State road led from Beulah to Pittsburgh, when the former was passing though its palmy days. It was the rival of Ebensburg for the county seat. Tha latter, however, stole its laurels, which, in connection with the abandonmant of the State Road, sounded the death knell of the hopeful and prosperous Beulah. From this time on it went into rapid decay. Its "Sky" was clouded, its metropolitan star went down in darkness, its glory faded, its inhabitants fled, its improvements fell a prey to the ravages of time. After an eventful career of a very few years, Beulah---is no more!"

There is still an old cemetary there as well as a foundatation or two. It's been heavily detected in the past. I've detected it myself a time or two and want to again. It's about a half mile hike from the main road. I hope this helps!

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I know of Wehrum and have scouted the area where it was. Nothing but thick woods now but a bike/hike trail runs through the area and there are signs depicting where it was located exactly. My assumption was that due to the signage and relative ease to find it that it had been detected heavily. I'm in Pittsburgh but went to college in Indiana, PA and had scouted a number of sites around the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions