Ghost Towns in the Black Hills of South Dakota

goodie hunter

Jul 24, 2011
Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Strictly Garrett
Being a history buff and metal detectorist, I was looking for new places to explore and MD.
I wanted "new" areas, and areas that would provide good finds. Four years ago, I set out to
publish a book on the Ghost Towns In The Black Hills of South Dakota. It became a much
larger undertaking than I ever thought. Many hours were devoted to visiting with old timers
and countless hours involved time at the Library going through reel after reel of old micro-
fische tapes. I have finally succeeded. So, if any one wants information on a certain old
Ghost Town in the Black Hills, you need only to contact me. I have came up with 246 old
Ghost Towns and am presently compiling printed pictures where they are located off of a
Black Hills National Forest Map. Since the map is copy-writed, I cannot sell the pictures but
I can send you a picture, free of charge if you pay for the envelope.

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool!!

I used to live in Rockerville (I'm sure you know where that is). I found a number of old camp remnants on Iron mountain and along Battle Creek toward Keystone.

I have not been back to MD, but I believe it would be fun.

WM

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love to touch base with you Goodie Hunter. I see this is an old post, are you still active?

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I messaged goodie_hunter in June of 2015 regarding his information on ghost towns in the Black Hills that he had compiled, I still haven't received a response to this day. He was last active on here about 13 months ago.

usagold

Sep 15, 2010
Rapid City, S. Dak.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Maitland, Yep, I have been gone for a while. Involved in horrendous accident, (not my fault) but it took out of doing anything for months. I am back now and finally getting back into the groove.

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okay, so to clarify, usagold, you're the same person as goodie_hunter? Just want to be on the same page so I'm understanding things correctly. :) Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you're doing better.

OP
OP
G

goodie hunter

Jul 24, 2011
Detector(s) used
Strictly Garrett
Okay, so to clarify, usagold, you're the same person as goodie_hunter? Just want to be on the same page so I'm understanding things correctly. :) Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you're doing better.
Yes Maitland, I am goodie hunter. Been trying hard for a few years to get back on my feet. Taking longer than I anticipated. Not up to par yet, but getting closer. One of these days, world look out.

OP
OP
G

goodie hunter

Jul 24, 2011
Detector(s) used
Strictly Garrett
Towards the end of March, 2013, I was involved in a terrible accident.
A newbie Semi-driver, dropped his cell phone while driving, lost control of his rig, crossed the center median, and struck me head on with his truck.
For the last three years, I have been trying to recuperate and get my life back together. I have had many other things on my mind, trying to get well,
so everything, EVERYTHING, was put on hold, including all of my rock bulletin boards,(which I almost forgot how to use), my ability to drive or even walk.
I have came a long ways in the last three years despite having close to 1/2 pound of space age material in my neck and backbone. I still need surgery on
both feet but am trying to stumble along the best I can until then. I changed my name to usagold just recently and then found out I was known as
goodie hunter, so goodie hunter it will be. I have missed all your postings and such during that time, but I am coming back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread