robgwv

robgwv

Feb 17, 2013
west virginia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea, Thanks,But that much i found..I was at the waymarker today...Close to home..I even know of one house that has peach trees.There not old enough thou.I will ask where they got the starts

OP
OP
robgwv

robgwv

Feb 17, 2013
west virginia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think those are the only references to the colony...If anyone else sees or hears more please let me know...

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
Sorry I can't help with your colony but in northern WV there is another colony started by George Washington called Washingtonlands.

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The settlement was devoured by mothmen. LOL sorry I couln't resist. Mothmen stories are in the Gallipolis, OH area too.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
robgwv,i put this map together,from the points in the article,looks like both ninemile
have several bends,i guess its a place to start im sure the setllement,wasnt that far
from the water,prob a short away from whatever flood range was in the mid 1700s
places per article
A is about 2 mile from the mouth of the Kanawha River
B is the putnam county line
C is upper ninemile creek
D is lower ninemile creek
map of points
ACME Mapper 2.0

points from the article
The tract ran about 17 miles along the Kanawha River, starting about two miles from its mouth, and ending
approximately at the present-day Putnam County line.
the group finally decided where the middle of the tract was...in a bend that is believed to be at the present site of Nine Mile Creek
Theresa's Haunted History of the Tri-State: Washington's Lost Colony

the area seems close to..........
chief cornstalk wildlife management area map
http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/WMA/Chief%20Cornstalk.gif

OP
OP
robgwv

robgwv

Feb 17, 2013
west virginia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, I will be on the lookout for artifacts(who knows). I live between the two creeks.

StuV

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Flatonia, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at your map, It shows a location for a town called "Volcano" it is in Ritchy county. I still have a farm near there in Petroleum although I now live in Texas. I know that Volcano was an old oil town that had a population of over 50,000 at one time. then a fire destroyed it and it was never rebuilt. When I was young there was still some timbers of a mansion still standing, gown now. At one time it had the Worlds longest continuous wire line, "over 20 miles I was told", pump station. I would like to check this area out some time.

Stu

Kellborne

Jan 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WV Lost Colony

The site is not were the historical marker is. The roads were changed when the new highway(RT 35) went through in the early 20th century. The accual colony is located across the river on RT 62 and the end of the Heritage Farms on the east side. Near the rock cliff. This is private property and has been in the same family for over 200 years. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Point+Pleasant,+WV/@38.7768948,-81.9993297,210m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x88489c818926aae1:0x4294c7ac07660e0f

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions