ghost towns in cattaraugus county N.Y. heard theres like 300 of them

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Hey Underbear...

Check out this link... some research needed on your part:
http://www.geocities.com/nationaltreasuresonline/NewYork.html

I am originally from Rochester but but have been in Montana for eleven years now. I often wish I was back east where the history is so rich! History started here in the 1860s... only a few trappers and mountain men for a few years beforw that. Good digs are hard to come by.

Good luck with your Ghost Town search. :)

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
thanks alot for the link Montana Jim, Research is my middle name. Being from The Big R, I'm sure you know our winters are pretty compareable with your Montana weather. So i've got the rest of this winter to nothing but research. Sorry if i sound bitter it's just that I wasted all this last exceptionally warm winter to begin with. I am just now getting back into MDing after a couple year lay off due to house fire. but again thanxs ;D

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I wish you the best... and by the way, it's going to 55 degrees here on the Rocky Mountain front in a few days! I'll be out for the first time in a month! I generally hunt all winter long here because my location in Montana allows for some agreeable weather. and after 31 years in Upstate (Rochester, Rome, Utica) I know how bad it could be for snow! :P

I don't miss it. I look forward to seeing any finds you get!

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
wow MJ 55 degrees, I assumed you ment the state of Montana, now I see you must be in Montana Fla. :D
We meaning Catt. County just had a blizzard followed by two days of constant lake effect dropping approx. 42 in. of snow on top of the six ft. already on the ground. Snow drifts are half way up ground floor windows. plus temps have been below 10 degrees for about a month now added to the winds at night we've benn getting down to -30. I figure we'll need at least three weeks of 55+ to get thawed enough fer diggin. :'(

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
My parents live in SW Cattaraugus county (town of South Valley). The most famous "ghost town" there is Onoville. Unfortunately, it is all under water. The town was flooded to make the Allegheny Reservoir. In dry seasons you can still see old roads and telephone poles. I would suggest contacting the Catt County Research library. I've had some great dealings with them. Here's their site:

www.cattco.org/museum/research/

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Hey Guys, don't forget Allegany state park was populated before it became a park ( towns of Red House, Quaker Bridge, Wolf run, Irish town) all gone now. Catt co. is loaded with places. Check out ghosttownusa.com. They list some but there are many more unpublished.
Good luck to all- lets think WARM !!!!!
Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread