Lost old settlement

bama #1

Dec 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother told me about a cemetery on his wife's grandmothers land. It has been in their family for over a hundred years. We started down this old dirt road for about 2 miles till we came to a river. I couldn't believe there was a cemetery there-it had about 30 graves. Some with stacks of rocks and some with just one rock. When we got back I started researching it,I found that the road was a old Indian trail that turned into a stage coach road later . And the people that lived there came from Baltimore in the mid 1800's. They were only there for a short time because they had a outbrake of cholera and most of them died. From some dates on the tomb stones I think they were there for around 10 years.

Attachments

• cemetary (1).jpg
    cemetary (1).jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,522
  • cemetary (2).jpg
    cemetary (2).jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 1,527
  • cemetary (3).jpg
    cemetary (3).jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,529
  • cemetary (5).jpg
    cemetary (5).jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,525
  • cemetary (6).jpg
    cemetary (6).jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,507

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
:o :o :o Jimney Cricket & Cracked Corn! :o :o :o

I do believe, in my honest opinion, you have come across a wonderful wonderful discovery adventure!

I myself can not wait for you to go back! The pictures you have shown LOVE LOVE LOVE them! Makes me have the itch to go explore ;D & then with the research you have discovered more! Incredible! :o

I hope you are able to go again soon & that you will bring your camera & tell us more more more more more. . . MORE ;D

Congrast & Good Luck!
Bogart :D

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Great site...So what else do you know? There has to be some type of a settlement there....cellarholes...foundations etc somewhere.....

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Start out near the graveyard, try to figure out which side the road was on and hit between the graveyard and it.
Watch out!!! for well holes that might not be covered or possibly rotten covers.
As Gypsy said, look for cellar holes. That way you can detect them, but also gives an idea of where the houses sat, so you can hit the "yard" around the hole.

Best suggestion, do some serious library time, see if you can find an old map of the town, that way you can place where important buildings such as general store and church were based on the graveyards position.

And most important of all, don't give up on the site! Even if it takes some time to start seeing results, there is relics and treasures in that ground, I can promise you that!

OP
OP
bama #1

bama #1

Dec 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice and interest. We didn't have a lot of time to look for foundations the day we went. Would the foundations more likely be on the hills or in the valleys or by the river?

Attachments

• cemtery.jpg
    cemtery.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,481
  • cemtery (1).jpg
    cemtery (1).jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 1,458
  • cemtery (2).jpg
    cemtery (2).jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 1,444

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
bama1109 said:
Thanks for the advice and interest. We didn't have a lot of time to look for foundations the day we went. Would the foundations more likely be on the hills or in the valleys or by the river? I did find out a little more about the road that leads to it. In 1813 Creek Indians killed several hundred pioneers in south Alabama. Colonel Coffee and Davy Crockett and 800 volunteers marched down this road to try to find them. They found there village but no Indians, so they just burned the village. I am going to the library tonight to see if I can find anymore information. I will take some more pictures when I go back. Here is some more I took the other day.

Probably not too far from the graveyard... At least around here. Of course, if those people were killed by some disease, the town would have wanted the graves away from their homes.
If not close to the graveyard, the river would be a good place to look, due to transportation and food/water reasons.

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
Nice find... an interesting side note. My last name is "Cannon". Hmm I wonder if it's the same family tree.

xstevenx

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Cripes thats an interesting story and such wonderful pictures!! Those photos make me want to break into some kind of Tourette Syndrome episode - I'm so jealous!!!!!

What an adventure you could be looking at!

AWESOME!!! :D :D :D

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also look for the common area where they hitched their horses and buggies. Those places have always been productive for me....Steve

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
break into some kind of Tourette Syndrome episode

Jim, you are funny. lol

My suggestion would be to view the site from above. Satellite view. See if you can spot any traces of buildings.

Keep us posted. You have made a great find. Probably never been hunted. I feel my tourettes starting to kicking in.... LOL

Ray S

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread